Tuesday, December 22, 2015

The Real Problem

What a beautiful program Alcoholics Anonymous is. Not only does it relieve our uncontrollable use of alcohol but is applicable to each and every problem in our lives.
           
We come to A A because we desire to stop drinking alcohol and are unable to do so on our own.  Alcohol severely impacts our lives, our minds, and our bodies.  We discover through the program of Alcoholics Anonymous that alcohol, of itself, is not and was not the problem - it is but a symptom of the problem.  The real problem with us as alcoholics (and addicts of any and all types) is self-centered fear. We are afraid we will not get what we want... and afraid to lose what we have.
           
When any of our human instincts are threatened we overreact until we make the decision in the Third Step of the program to turn our thoughts and our actions over to the care of God. Once we do this we are on our way to a serene and peaceful life.  The integration of the remaining steps into our lives leads us to a life in which we are praying and meditating on a daily basis.  When praying we ask only for the knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry that out. Remaining in that present state of mind, in the will of God, we do not drink. In God's hands all of our problems are solved.

God is the solution to the real problem. Once we are in His will we do not overreact when we think that our human instincts are threatened as we are trusting in His safety and serenity. May you find Him and his comfort now.

4 comments:

  1. When I first found AA, an "old-timer" told me that my reaction to things had to change. That I no longer had to be bound by alcoholic thinking, that I could actually choose to "un-react" until I learned to trust in the power of The Twelve Steps, that I no longer had to live within the bondage of self. However, something of great importance had to occur, I had to find A Higher Power and turn to that Power in all thoughts and things. While I instinctively knew this was true, I didn't know how to develop a personal relationship with The Power until, through incorporating all Twelve Steps into my daily life, I found that Power Within me. To say this was a breakthrough is to diminish its effect on me. In identifying the real problem, I was able to find the Real Solution. Peace is no longer the elusive prize of my own thinking but the gentle trust in The Power Within me, and in all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael We come to AA thinking that alcohol is our problem and we learn it is but a symptom of the Real Problem. The solution to our alcoholism and every other problem in our lives is a relationship with God in this moment...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. This comment Is From A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic
    Well said my brother, for no one is capable of willing away their own will and truth be told, we are all from the moment of conception totally self willed creations by Devine design. We instinctively propel ourselves into full throttle fits of rage until our demands are met, our bellies are full and a freshly powered diaper is wrapped around our bottoms... If we are fortunate, our parents have come to understand the destructive destination of our fledgling self-will-run-riot, and establish and nurture the healthy boundaries required to navigate successfully and joyfully through life. Then, there are those of us who were raised by wolves.... But they too can recover if they have the capacity to be honest. Thankfully, most parents place our need for lovingly imposed corrective guidance ahead of their inward desire for our all too conditional acceptance and approval.

    This divinely inspired act of sacrificial love is the cornerstone for making healthy life choices. Yet, our "King Midas" mindset rebels at every turn even though The Devine Author of life intercedes and provides messengers and models to guide us to accept and embrace His unrelenting desire to embrace us in the bosom of His unfathomable love. If only we are willing... But, I went my own way, made my own plans, executed them with fervor and justified my excess appetites with self-indulgent arguments backed by delusional excuses. All the while accumulating an insurmountable mountain of gilt and shame. Life finally became a desperate race for any elixir to numb the pain of a journey with no meaning and a future destination too terrifying to contemplate. Alcohol became both vehicle and fuel for my afterburner fired journey into... Hell.

    Yet, when all hope was lost, when death became the only frighteningly attractive option left, an Unseen Hand reached out from eternity and in the rarest moment of sanity, I cried out to that same God I had ignored and abandoned for most of my life. And, In that very instant, in that very place, I discovered that like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz the "ruby slippers" had been available all along. I simply chose to ignore them. The 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous are in a very real sense the "ruby slippers" of a Loving God's personal invitation to that radical change that finally brings us home. Today, I have no need to fear the future nor regret the past for I am convinced that He is more than able and faithful to complete the good work He has begun in me and all who humbly seek His face and by His power, practice His principles in all their affairs. Just one day at a time, every day of our lives, until we meet Him face to face.

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic The 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous - if integrated into our life will lead us to a place where we are praying only for knowledge of God's will for us. That thought is the driving force in our life and if practiced one moment at a time can lead us to a place of serenity and joy...Thank you...Armand

      Delete