Monday, December 7, 2015

Forming And Sustaining Relationships

        
         The chapter on Step Four in "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions" describes our dysfunctional relations well, "But it is from our twisted relations with family, friends, and society at large that many of us have suffered the most.  We have been especially stupid and stubborn about them.  The primary fact that we failed to recognize is our total inability to form a true partnership with another human being."
          I went through my entire life unable to interact with others on an intimate level. I was incapable of allowing others to experience me as I truly was and I was unwilling to allow others to share with me their true self.  I would present to the world what I thought the world needed to see about me so I could feel good about myself.  In the past, the relationships I did have were of the type which, when I was done taking from them what I wanted and they were done taking from me what they wanted, the relationship was over.  I was incapable of FORMING AND SUSTAINING RELATIONSHIPS in an honest and caring way with other human beings.
        The greatest gift I have received from developing a personal relationship with God through the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous is the ability to interact with other human beings at an honest and true level - therefore FORMING AND SUSTAINING RELATIONSHIPS that are caring and loving.  This occurs when we are the human being God created us to be, thereby maximizing our human potential

2 comments:

  1. The reason I was incapable of allowing others to experience me as I truly was is that I was unable to experience me as I truly am. My love was blocked because my spirit was blocked. The pain of failed relationships was the result. It is only through each of The Twelve Steps, a knowing sponsor and a constituency of like-spirited fellow travelers that I have been able to know and feel the ultimate relationship with The Power Within me. From the safety and certainty of That Power, each relationship in my life today has meaning and value and dignity and warmth. I can give and take in equal measure with optimism and fullness. There is a light in each of us waiting to shine. Turning to The Light gently enables that. We quietly shine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael what a wonderful experience to have harmony in our human relationships as a result of the relationship formed with God by integrating the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous into our Life...Thank you for sharing your personal experience...Armand

      Delete