Monday, December 14, 2015

Serenity

           Serenity is the absence of conflict in our thoughts.  We who have committed ourselves to the program (the Twelve Steps) of Alcoholics Anonymous have deemed that it is the program itself which must come first in our lives. Alongside such a commitment comes a personal relationship with a supreme power, such as God. Living by these honorable ideals ushers the blessings of serenity into the stream of our lives - no matter what transpires.
              
              In the Alcoholics Anonymous literature, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, such a paragon way of living is elucidated:  "We are no longer frightened and purposeless.  The moment we catch even a glimpse of God's will, the moment we begin to see truth, justice and love as the real and eternal things in life, we are no longer deeply disturbed by all the seeming evidence to the contrary that surrounds us in purely human affairs.  We know that God lovingly watches over us."
             
             By integrating the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous into our lives in such a way that they become our lives, and by manifesting the principles of those steps in our behavior, we have the opportunity to have safe and serene lives. Remembering that joy is not the absence of sorrow, but the presence of God … experience serenity we will.

4 comments:

  1. Through the incorporation of The Twelve Steps into my life, I began to experience that first "glimpse" of The Power Within me and His Will for me. I began to understand that to experience peace of mind, I needed to feel safe in a world of disturbance. That could only happen by abandoning my human nature and trusting in The Power Within me to offer an alternative form of living. Yes, despite all the seeming evidence to the contrary, truth, justice and love are the "eternal" gifts from which flow a peace of mind and spirit which are simply unavailable to me otherwise. In a world beset by "power struggles," we can live in the Recovery our preamble describes, free to experience joy. And to keep it by giving it away. But, as you point out, the Program must come first in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael The problem of Alcoholism, a physical allergy and a mental obsession can be healed by a vital spiritual experience. The conflict that lives in an alcoholic mind is put to rest as we are restored to our right minds. The absence of the conflict is filled by an absolute awareness of God and with that awareness comes serenity...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. "…no matter what transpires": What my addict, disbelieving mind told me was that it was all too good to possibly be true. I was scared to think that I could be completely serene, enveloped in joy and eluding trust from the omnipresent source I called God - living a life worth living was foreign to me. Before I incorporated the twelve step program into my life AND considered it my absolute priority I was living on the dark side. It wasn't just my thoughts but my entire energy and spirit and every feeling I had when I breathed in that occupied the shadows of the never-ending darkness - knowing only how to navigate through, never out of.

    When the program of the twelve steps entered my life I witnessed light coming through here and there around me. It was like walking through the woods seeing evidence of the sun in smallish fragments -- proving there was indeed a world beyond. The world I now know is so much bigger and brighter than I could've imagined. The steps and a valuable sponsorship led me out into the world of plenty (spiritually speaking) and yes, even to a place where serenity exists.

    I was once, and for a long time, deeply disturbed but I was fortunate enough to catch just a small, sliver of a glimpse of a brighter and fuller something. Now the glimpse is a flash of a feeling across me and has given me a foundation I build upon every day, every hour, even every moment during which I consciously put my being in contact with the Supreme Being. I might close my eyes for a second or take a deep breath or perhaps even wake up and pray… all acts of CEASING my egocentric thoughts which are the result of acting on behalf of my life - then letting it go to Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caitlin When an alcoholic enters the rooms and is exposed to AA they have four choices. They can continue to drink and go to meetings and tell everyone they are really trying. They can not drink go to meetings and not integrate the 12 steps into their lives and still suffer from untreated alcoholism. They can not drink go to meetings and attempt to work some of the steps but find they are still irritated and full of discontent while still suffering from untreated alcoholism. Finally they can integrate the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous into their life in such a way that it becomes their life by surrendering their human nature and living in the will of God thereby not drinking, not manifesting their character defects in their life, no longer suffering from untreated alcoholism and experience a full life of joy peace and yes serenity...Thank you...Armand

      Delete