Monday, September 7, 2015

Sponsorship

         I have had the privilege of working with many people in Alcoholics Anonymous. I have worked with all walks of life: male and female, rich and poor, young and old, believers and non believers, Christians, Jews and Muslims. I do the same thing with everyone - I always have the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous between them and me. I simply open the book and we begin reading at the preface. As we read the book we discuss the material. I don't change anything for anyone. The solution, a vital spiritual experience, is the solution regardless of what their problem may be in addition to their addiction. Obviously, if a person has mental problems then additional help is necessary for them.  I never tell anyone what they must do - I just follow the material and incorporate the Twelve Steps as we move through it all: A practice that can be replicated by anyone.   
          I know that my behavior is being observed.  Not just whether I can "talk the talk" but more importantly can I "walk the walk".  Am I practicing the principles of AA?  In the forward of The Twelve And Twelve it says, "The twelve steps are a group of principles, spiritual in nature, which if practiced as a way of life can expel the obsession to drink and enable the sufferer to become happily and usefully whole."
          The following is what my sponsees see in me: I am responsible. When asked to take someone through the book of Alcoholics Anonymous, I say yes. I never consider whether I have enough time...  I simply just make it work.  There isn't a greater exercise one can participate in than to help another recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. Nothing. We meet once a week for an hour and I only cancel if I have an urgent family matter or if I am doing step work with another. My emotional state rarely, if ever, changes one week to the next as I am serene and at peace.  I never prepare for a meeting as I am dependent upon and trusting in God.  Again, I never tell another what they must do as it is their recovery. It is their relationship with God.  I am the example, not the taskmaster.
               When we live this life in AA we become happily and usefully whole.  Let us share in this legacy.  

Written by Armand
Edited by Caitlin Alexandra

2 comments:

  1. The model for sponsorship you have detailed is the only way sponsorship has ever enabled me to grow in understanding, effectiveness and love. There is no question that a vital spiritual experience was the solution to my alcoholism as merely not drinking wasn't enough to ensure continuous sobriety, peace of mind, recovery. As you suggest, letting The Big Book do the talking and keeping my opinions out of the discussions keeps the process free of confusion and misunderstanding. It is imperative for me to acknowledge that the reason I drank was because my spirit was dead. It appeared for a brief time that alcohol could revive me but that proved to be almost-fatal sekf-deception. The only answer to my thinking/drinking problem is a spirituals awakening and the subsequent relationship with The Power Within me. Proper sponsorship is a key component to that transformation. In AA, our obligation is to find the right way, to live it and to pass it on to others. That seems to me to be the formula for "living happily and usefully whole."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael One cannot possibly be in the will of God without being of help to others. When the Spirit has been awakened within us we are given the power to help others. In AA it is with others Alcoholism but we are called to help others in every area of our life, whenever and wherever needed...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete