Monday, September 14, 2015

We Can't Solve the Problem With the Problem

            Our lives were lived to constantly fuel and satisfy our desires.  We protected our instincts that were warped by fear and self-absorption.  We lived our lives in defiance wrapped around our own self-centeredness - with extreme sensitivity and grandiosity.  Our nature could never initiate or sustain true, honest relations with other human beings. We were forever searching outside of ourselves, completely unaware that the solution to our problem lay within. These lives we lived, fueled by fear and insatiable desires to appease our human instincts, became so anxiety-filled that we increasingly sought escape as a way to experience ease and comfort within.  We were a contradiction unto ourselves.
            As for myself, the escape was the increasing use of alcohol that led to addiction. I sought control over my addiction but to no avail. This inability to control created a series of very negative consequences in my life. I was driven by a self-will that knew no boundaries. I constantly attempted to fix the problem with my own internal drive.  I was trying to solve my problem with my problem.  We cannot ever solve the problem with the problem.
                I was unaware of the uniqueness of the disease... in that it is two-fold.  We have a physical allergy, which ensures that each and every time we put the substance(s) into our system we will get sick, drunk/high, and into all kinds of trouble. But, more importantly, we have a mental obsession which ensures that even though we don't want to drink or use or behave in such a way our disease wants us to, sooner or later our minds will tell us it's ok. We will satiate our desires, we will trigger the physical allergy and we will ultimately succumb to the hand of addiction. Time after time, using our minds to create a way to control our disease and always failing to do so is proof to us that we can't solve the problem with the problem.
               The solution to our problem with alcohol, with drugs, and with every problem borne from our defective, ill nature is a relationship with God. Through a vital spiritual experience which we temper and enlighten with prayer and meditation we foster such a relationship.  The experience occurs in our lives when the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous are integrated into it. We practice the steps in such a way that they become our lives so that the problem will be solved.

Written by Armand
Edited by Caitlin Alexandra

3 comments:

  1. My comment today is that this post actually and precisely delineates both the problem of my life and the solution to that problem. No question that fear and self-absorption were always present but only in the absence of trust and reliance. The attainment of trust and reliance for me is not an intellectual process. Rather, as you so clearly identify, the integration of The Twelve Steps into my daily life has made the process experiential at the highest level, a level with no mind. While both fear and self-centeredness still exist within my human mind and will, they have no hand in directing The Power Within me which is my real life. Through this miraculous transformation, my instincts no longer have to be appeased. Instead, they are affirmed without thought and brought to peace by sharing myself with others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael so well said. The good Lord will always provide what we need which may not be in lane with what our human instincts crave. This is the miracle which occurs when we abandon ourselves to God...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete