Thursday, November 20, 2014

Inspiration

                
                               In the chapter Into Action in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous it says "In thinking about our day we may face indecision.  We may not be able to determine which course to take.  Here we ask God for INSPIRATION, an intuitive thought or decision.  We don't struggle.  We are often surprised how the right answers come after we have tried this for awhile.  What used to be the hunch or the occasional INSPIRATION gradually becomes a working part of the mind.  Being still inexperienced and having just made conscious contact with God it is improbable that we are going to be inspired at all times.  Nevertheless, we find that our thinking will, as time passes be more and more on the plane of INSPIRATION.  We come to rely upon it."
               It is in the conscious contact with God  that INSPIRATION may be received.  It is where a recovered alcoholic lives.
               INSPIRATION is defined in the dictionary as the thoughts of God implanted in the mind and soul of man.  When the thoughts of God is received in my soul I don't need to run them by my intellect, as I know immediately that they are the truth.  The question becomes, is my human nature surrendered to the will of God in this moment so that I am capable of receiving God's thoughts or is my thought process propelled by my human instinct.  A recovered alcoholic lives by INSPIRATION as their thought process is propelled by the will of God.
 

3 comments:

  1. To attempt to intellectualize Inspiration is a pointless and confusing exercise for me. Inspiration is something, as you point, that completely precludes my intellect. That is its very nature. Yes, it is a feeling but far beyond that it is a knowing, a knowing that comes from not knowing. Knowledge of His Will for us is the non-intellectual destination and is only available to me by incorporating The Twelve Steps into my life as a recovering alcoholic. Prior to AA, my life was a hopeless state of mind and body. The longer I practice The Steps, the more open I am to receive the greatest gift - peace of mind. Which I know is what God's will for me is to have and to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael inspiration occurs in unison with surrender. it is the decision an alcoholic makes in the Third Step and realized by completion of the steps with enough humility to ignite a Spiritual awakening...Thank you so much for your comment...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment is from Ira
    Thank you for the Blog entitled "Inspiration"
    I really enjoyed the Blog and found it to be not only inspiring but very helpful, as well. As I continue to live in God's Will for me, I'm finding that Inspiration is becoming a fact of my life. I seem to be making the right choices and the right decisions, not based on my intellect or my instincts or my will, but by God's Will to which I've connected. I like your phrase:
    "A recovered Alcoholic lives by INSPIRATION, as their thought process is propelled by the
    will of God"
    Thank you for these wonderful Blogs. I look forward to your next one.
    Be well.
    All the best
    Ira

    ReplyDelete