Monday, November 24, 2014

Giving

                
                 Initially I had no idea, but to possess the qualities that many of the members of Alcoholics Anonymous possessed took a degree of humility, the characteristic I had none of as I was extremely prideful but now a characteristic I long to possess.
                In the book Alcoholics Anonymous Comes Of Age, in the historic visit to Bill W. from his boarding school chum Ebby T., who at the time had almost been committed for alcoholic insanity, was sober and came to share with Bill what had happened.  He outlined the precepts of the Oxford Group, one of which applies to humility.  He said I was told to practice Giving, the Giving of yourself to somebody.
               Personally, I have learned that it is humility which unlocks the door to the grace of God.  In order to grow in humility I must begin to let go of my selfish desires and begin to have a faith in God which eventually blossoms into a complete trust in God.  Trust in God initially is difficult, as through the course of my life I have used my instincts and my intellect to propel me through life.  But when I was faced with a self imposed crisis that I could not overcome with my human power I had to rely on a higher power.  As the Big Book says "we trust in infinite God rather than finite self.  Today in this day and in this time, I trust in God.  The development of this trust in God leads to a caring of others that was not possible for me before.  An alcoholic who is humble enough to trust in God knows that the Giving of self in the helping of others is a critical tool of recovery.   

2 comments:

  1. As a human being, my highest calling is to give of my purest self. As a recovering alcoholic, my highest calling is to locate my spiritual essence, to practice the principles available to me in The Twelve Steps in all my affairs, to receive the gift of me, and to understand that to keep this gift I must give it away. To know, love and honor myself through the Power within me is only possible by turning myself to the Light,,and then sharing and shining that Light with others. There is no greater purpose for me.and, I believe, that is the spiritual objective of sobriety in AA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael thank you so much for writing "turning myself to the light, and then sharing that light with others." The essence of the actual program of Alcoholics Anonymous. Well said my friend...Armand

    ReplyDelete