Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Admit And Accept

 In The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions it is written: "A continuous look at our assets and liabilities, and a real desire to learn and grow by this means, are necessities for us. We alcoholics have learned this the hard way. More experienced people, of course, in all times and places have practiced unsparing self-survey and criticism. For the wise have always known that no one can make much of his life until self-searching becomes a regular habit, until he is able to ADMIT and ACCEPT what he finds, and until he patiently and persistently tries to correct what is wrong.


      Through daily inventory we can admit and accept that our character defects are a part of our human nature, a part that cannot manifest if we are truly living in the will of God. We are completely capable of understanding, if the proper work on the 12 steps is thoroughly done, that our human nature is in fact defected. We must accept this about ourselves if we desire to be recovered.
       In the program of Alcoholics Anonymous it is often said, "Let go and let God."  The "Let go" part is turning from the incessant prompts of our human nature and the "Let God" part is living in, and thereby manifesting, the will of God.  Living in the raw-natured will of God, our character defects cannot be manifested in our behavior - it is in such a spiritual place that our nature can be perfected as we become the human being that God created us to be.
          Self-survey is a most powerful tool of recovery.

Written by Armand

7 comments:

  1. Michael C.

    One of the great paradoxes of the Big Book program of recovery is that we have to learn to self-search in order to no longer self-seek. It has been only by going fully inside through the integration of all Twelve Steps into my life that I became aware of The Power Within me. This is the point at which the spiritual search commenced to teach me the difference between searching (finding myself) and seeking (answering the relentless call of my human nature). As you continually point out, recovery of the self I was born to be Is the “work” of the AA program. It takes the the pick and shovel of digging into myself to locate and live in the grace of spiritual wholeness. I must first admit and then accept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael self searching is a tune tested practice to discovering the truth about ourselfves...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
    2. Armand,

      It was my base instinct for survival that compelled my first surrender and opened the door to Eternal Light and the purpose for my existence. I am now gratefully at peace with the knowledge that my eternal destination is secure. The words of Chapter 5 are simple but clear, "We asked His protection and care with complete abandon." As I abandon my desire to become my own worst nightmare and accept the future God has planned for me before the foundations of space and time I need only place my weaknesses before Him and failure is replaced by forgiveness and fear is replaced by faith. He is my Constant Compass and His Word is now my map. My one true and only source of security, in every insecurity, encountered throughout this day.

      And so I pray: Holy Father, as I begin this new day I exalt You by seeking to uphold righteousness in my life, which comes from being right with You. I humbly confess whatever may keep me from being in a right relationship with You. Forgive me for the idols of my heart. Forgive me for being insensitive to other peoples needs. Forgive me for any self-sufficiency that makes it difficult to hear Your loving direction throughout this day. It is by faith in You that I am made righteous in Your sight. Help me to humbly trust You and follow Your guidance in all that I say and do. Empower me today, Lord, to do what You would have me to do. Show me the way as I accept Your primacy in my life..



      A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic

      Delete
    3. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic it is the only way for us to know Peace is to follow the dictates of The Lord...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. I can admit that my nature can cause me to be stuck in self-centered fear and that I must accept and be willing for God to remove my defects of character which block me off from the sunlight of the spirit.

    I can not afford anger or to stay resentful or re-feel things that I can’t change or stare in remorse of the past. I must trust God’s path and his will for me. He has given me experiences that show me self-reliance has failed me. Willingness to change and grow is a gift. As I inventory myself I see where I must change and begin to accept and love myself as I am a and remember I am a beloved child of God.

    As I gain clarity and more self awareness I seek to be out of the bondage of self and more in a place where I can be present one day at a time, thinking not only of myself but of God and others. I pray and meditate to make conscious contact with God. To be still and listen, to be inspired...to guide me to show me how to live just for today. 🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica has left a new comment on your post "Admit And Accept":

    I can admit that my nature can cause me to be stuck in self-centered fear and that I must accept and be willing for God to remove my defects of character which block me off from the sunlight of the spirit.

    I can not afford anger or to stay resentful or re-feel things that I can’t change or stare in remorse of the past. I must trust God’s path and his will for me. He has given me experiences that show me self-reliance has failed me. Willingness to change and grow is a gift. As I inventory myself I see where I must change and begin to accept and love myself as I am a and remember I am a beloved child of God.

    As I gain clarity and more self awareness I seek to be out of the bondage of self and more in a place where I can be present one day at a time, thinking not only of myself but of God and others. I pray and meditate to make conscious contact with God. To be still and listen, to be inspired...to guide me to show me how to live just for today. 🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete