Monday, February 11, 2019

The Root Of The Problem


It is through all our experience with our character defects that we've realized and recognized, set boundaries and applied cognitive therapy and behavioral modification but all to no avail - using these methods is like applying a band aid to a festering sore. What we really must do is get to the root of the problem. Our character defects exist in our human nature, not in the will of God. Therefore, if we are willing to perform the work necessary for the Spirit to be awakened within us by living in the back half of The Eleventh Step, "Praying only for knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry that out" (Alcoholics Anonymous) , our character defects will not and cannot possibly manifest in our behaviors. The power to carry out such knowledge must come from God, as our human nature will only try to sustain our selfish desires. Once we have taken this step we have pulled the root of the problem from it's poisonous soils.
          Some of us have learned through our experiences that we must do this - turn from our human nature and live in the will of God - if our character defects are not to exist in our behavior. Many of us have not.  In Alcoholics Anonymous it is often said, "Let go and let God."  The "let go" part is in the letting go of our thought process propelled by our human instincts. The "let God" part is thereafter, in which we surrender to the idea that God will propel our thought process through His inspiration.  Inspiration is defined as "the thoughts of God implanted in the mind and soul of man."  When this transformation of thought has occurred, the root of the problem has truly been healed.         
 Written by Armand

9 comments:

  1. I have been praying to God, surrendering my nature to him. I have asked God to please remove my self-pity and self-centered fears. I don't want to live in my nature any longer, help me live in your will. My defects are there and I need not feed them, which wolf will I feed? There is a bit of good and bad in me and I need to try to focus on living in the will of God.

    I have to believe that God can remove every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to him and my fellows, I must become willing to let go of my defects, even the ones that I think still work. What I have found is that they don’t work any longer, I realize that I need a new way. I can’t live in my defects as it causes pain and harm to myself & others.

    I can be willing to move towards the grace of God and trust that he will do for me what I cannot do for myself. I am humbly asking God to remove my shortcomings.

    I know that the chief activator of my defects has been and is self-centered fear. When I am living in this fear I can act out in my defects. I need to have a new perspective, I truly have a desire to seek and do God’s will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Armand,

    The root of the problem is, was and always will be my unwillingness to answer the clear clarion call of God. This is the universal struggle even the most immature mind can comprehend for His call is unmistakable. His will for the day is always above my understanding and always requires His power to accomplish. He never reveals the end from the beginning for therein is the opportunity for real faith to be manifest for that day’s lesson plan. If I am obedient in the moment and not fear that the "consequences" of my decisions may result in the "perceived loss" of what lies ahead in the unseen future, I will discover the blessing He has in store, deepen my faith and experience the true joy and freedom in life that can be apprehended in no other way.

    Living this life on the surface of the pond is an empty, shallow, false flag adventure at best. A finite illusion of the infinite reality that can only be experienced when I surrender to the True Guide and Lover of my soul. Having been dashed on the rocks too many times to count I have abandoned my swim up the waterfall. For by His grace, mercy and love I am discovering the only Fountain of Life that leads to the ocean of love that is the essence of His being. I am convinced that all of His creation has just one purpose. To provide the perfect environment for all those created in His image to discover Him as He truly is and to spend not only this life but the life to come in His unspeakably glorious presence.

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic. nothing to say but Amen.

      Delete
  3. To listen to the will of God for direction in our thoughts and actions requires me first to have a relationship with Him. That relationship leads to trust. It takes time to build relationships, and it takes effort. I must constantly develop my skills and expertise to improve my ability to listen for the will of God. It must be a priority in my life to do so, even greater than the priority I place on my priority and commitment I have to improve my relationship with my wife. Now on paper that even sounds silly, but our commitment to our relationship for the creator of the universe needs to be all encompassing and intense. Our eternal life is at stake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim you have been missed. Thanks so much for sharing your experience...Armand

      Delete
  4. I had to dig deeply to find the root of my problem, something I was incapable of doing before integrating all Twelve Steps into my life in such a way that they became my life. Like you, applYing a bandage to my festering sores only brought about more frustration and despair. All my character defects were based in my unknown and unwarranted fears. And nothing short of complete commitment to The Big Book program of recovery could or would bring about the desired result - permanent sobriety and a contented useful life. In looking for the rook of the problem, I found the root of the solution. At first a "flimsy reed", the closer I drew near, I recognized The Power Within me, The Source of my original nature, and The Source on my ongoing comfort and joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael love when you wrote "complete commitment to the Big Book of recovery...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  5. Help Ready Welcome. The link did not work...Thanks...Armand

    ReplyDelete