Monday, July 16, 2018

Unique Disease

Alcoholism is a Unique Disease in that it is two-fold.We have a physical allergy which ensures that each and every time we put alcohol into our system we will get sick, we will get drunk, we will get into all kinds of trouble.  But, even more important than the physical allergy, we have a mental obsession which ensures that even though we don't want to drink, sooner or later our minds will tell us it's ok-we will put the alcohol into our system, we'll trigger the physical allergy, and we'll get drunk again.  As Dr. Silkworth, the great medical benefactor of AA suggests, the thought processes of the mind have to be transformed.  The thought processes of the mind must undergo a psychic change and this change is essential and must be complete  As Dr Silkworth states "on the other hand, and strange as this may seem- once a psychic change has occurred the very same person who seemed doomed, who has so many problems they despaired of ever solving them, is easily able to control their desire for alcohol, the only effort necessary is to follow a few simple rules."
    The transformation of thought that is necessary to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body occurs through the grace of God received by integrating the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous into our life in such a way that they become our life.  Having admitted complete defeat, having admitted to our innermost self that we are Alcoholic, understanding that no human power could overcome our alcoholism, having begun to trust in God as a solution to our problems we were now at Step Three-as we decided to turn our will, which is our thoughts, and our life, which is our behavior over to the care of God. We knelt down on our knees and prayed THE THIRD STEP PRAYER, "God I offer myself to Thee, to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt, relieve me of the bondage of self that I may better do Thy will.  Take away from me my difficulties that victory over them will bear witness to those I would help of Thy power, Thy love and Thy way of life , may I do Thy will always."
Perhaps you have never taken a Third Step, if not knell and take it now and  YOU will have a simple solution to  a UNIQUE DISEASE.

Written by Armand 

5 comments:

  1. As we learn in The First Step, "few, indeed, so assailed, have been able to win through in single-handed combat." We cannot fight a mental obsession and a physical compulsion with our unaided will alone. The psychic change necessary must rely on the spirit replacing the will. It actually has very little to do with the mind which is simply the tyrant-force of the will. In my experience, learning the words of The Twelve Steps and the order in which they are suggested as a program of action is not enough. It is only by incorporating The Steps into my life in such a way that they have become my life that I have located The Power Within me which makes all things possible - even the solution, and the only solution to the unique disease from which we initially suffer but, paradoxically which leads us to the gift of ourselves as lived through The Power Within. Unique disease, uniquely spiritual solurion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael a complete surrender of our human nature to the will of God is necessary to recover. The Third Step is where the decision is made for that to occur...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. My disease is alcohol, my problem is me. Mental obsession is a great way to name the second and most dehabilitating part of my condition. In the height of my active alcoholism, my only focus was on myself and the pursuit of the next drink. My surrender in Step 3 was only a place to start. I made a commitment to battle against my alcoholism for the rest of my life, one day at a time. That commitment in Step 3 REQUIRED that a power great than myself, which I know is God, had to provide the grace so I could be reborn again as a man. A man committed to God's will for me as a human and spiritual being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jim loved when you wrote "my only focus was on myself and the pursuit of the next drink." The decision made in Three leads us to a life free of alcohol placing the needs of others ahead of our own...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  3. When you quit drinking for good, your body begins the recovery process quickly.Every person is different and will recovery at a different pace.
    Addiction center Indianapolis

    ReplyDelete