Monday, February 12, 2018

Admit And Accept

   In The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions it is written: "A continuous look at our assets and liabilities, and a real desire to learn and grow by this means, are necessities for us. We alcoholics have learned this the hard way. More experienced people, of course, in all times and places have practiced unsparing self-survey and criticism. For the wise have always known that no one can make much of his life until self-searching becomes a regular habit, until he is able to ADMIT and ACCEPT what he finds, and until he patiently and persistently tries to correct what is wrong.

      Through daily inventory we can admit and accept that our character defects are a part of our human nature, a part that cannot manifest if we are truly living in the will of God. We are completely capable of understanding, if the proper work on the 12 steps is thoroughly done, that our human nature is in fact defected. We must accept this about ourselves if we desire to be recovered.
       In the program of Alcoholics Anonymous it is often said, "Let go and let God."  The "Let go" part is turning from the incessant prompts of our human nature and the "Let God" part is living in, and thereby manifesting, the will of God.  Living in the raw-natured will of God, our character defects cannot be manifested in our behavior - it is in such a spiritual place that our nature can be perfected as we become the human being that God created us to be.
          Self-survey is a most powerful tool of recovery.

Written by Armand

6 comments:

  1. Admit and accept. That only came to me in my sobriety once room was made for humility. I was a slave to my ego. I thought I was my ego. But my ego was fueled by my human instincts. There was no room for the Holy Spirit to participate in my life. My suffering gave me the incentive to turn to this program of recovery because I was out of options. I admitted I was POWERLESS over alcohol. I accepted this spiritual program as the foundation of my recovery. I didnt quite know it at the time, but God did. This program provided me the two truths I needed to recover: First the truth about myself in working steps 4 through 9. This gave me the emotional intelligence I needed to recognize when my human instincts were working against me. And second I learned about the truth with God in the 11th step. That is where I developed a personal relationship with the Creator of the universe. Only He can guide me to the right action by enlightening me with His will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim humility is the key that unlocks the door to the grace of God...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. The underlying reason for my difficulty in admitting and accepting had little to do with alcohol, which was only the sympton of the real problem. In The Big Book program of recovery, I learned that the deep-root difficulty was fear of seeing who I was. Not just who I'd become but who I was in all my complexity and simplicity. Without finding and following a relationship with The Power Within me, I had no chance of receiving the greatest gift of all - knowing, accepting, and loving myself. Nothing short of that will enable me to know and love you in such a way that I can give myself to you. And, thereby, live in the freedom of peace and in the peace of freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael facing the manifestation of who we are and what we have wrought, driven by our human instinct,can only come after we begin to humble ourselves and trust in God...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  3. Armand,

    It was my base instinct for survival that compelled my first surrender and opened the door to Eternal Light and the purpose for my existence. I am now gratefully at peace with the knowledge that my eternal destination is secure. The words of Chapter 5 are simple but clear, "We asked His protection and care with complete abandon." As I abandon my desire to become my own worst nightmare and accept the future God has planned for me before the foundations of space and time I need only place my weaknesses before Him and failure is replaced by forgiveness and fear is replaced by faith. He is my Constant Compass and His Word is now my map. My one true and only source of security, in every insecurity, encountered throughout this day.

    Todays devotion: Holy Father, as I begin this new day I exalt You by seeking to uphold righteousness in my life, which comes from being right with You. I humbly confess whatever may keep me from being in a right relationship with You. Forgive me for the idols of my heart. Forgive me for being insensitive to other peoples needs. Forgive me for any self-sufficiency that makes it difficult to hear Your loving direction throughout this day. It is by faith in You that I am made righteous in Your sight. Help me to humbly trust You and follow Your guidance in all that I say and do. Empower me today, Lord, to do what You would have me to do. Show me the way..



    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic love that God is my security in my insecurity...Thank you...Armand

      Delete