Thursday, March 16, 2017

A Unique Disease

       Alcoholism is a unique disease in that it is a two-fold malady. There is the physical allergy that ensures each and every time we put alcohol into our system we'll get sick, drunk, and into all kinds of trouble.  But more paramount - we have a mental obsession that ensures, even though we don't want to drink, sooner or later our mind will tell us it's okay to pick up the intoxicating substance, triggering the physical allergy. We will surely get drunk again.
        Dr. Silkworth, the chief medical benefactor of AA suggests that the thought process of the mind has to be transformed.  The thought process of the mind of an alcoholic must have a psychic change. This change is essential and must be complete.  As Dr. Silkworth stated, "... once a psychic change has occurred the very same person who seemed doomed, who had so many problems they despaired of ever solving them, is easily able to control their desire for alcohol, the only effort necessary being that required to follow a few simple rules."
       The transformation of thought that is necessary to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of both mind and body occurs through the grace of God. This Grace can and will be received through the practice of the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.
        Having admitted complete defeat; having admitted to our innermost selves that we are alcoholic; understanding that our human power could not overcome our alcoholism; having begun to trust in God as a solution to our problems we arrive at Step Three, "... decided to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God." Our will is our thoughts and our lives are our behaviors as we think before we act.  We turn over our thoughts and in doing so, behavior follows suit.
         We pray, "God, I offer myself to Thee, to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self that I may better do thy will. Take away my difficulties so that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy power, Thy love and Thy way of life.  May I do Thy will always."
        This unique disease cannot be remedied using that which causes it - self-centeredness and fear. Turning our broken, scarred selves over to a much Higher and Mightier power is the simple solution to this bewildering and unique disease.

Written by Armand

4 comments:

  1. One would assume that a psychic change would occur within the mind as the result of the mind. As alcoholics we know that that process is akin to fixing a broken hammer with the hammer that's broken. For me, and probably for you, the problem began with my mind and ended in my soul. My spirit was contaminated, empty, unfulfilled. Yet, I deeply possessed the sense of something both missing and present within me, even in my darkest bottle days. That sense was what Bill meant when he wrote that, in recovery, "common sense becomes uncommon sense." It is unquestionably unique that the spiritual deficit which turned the powerless me to alcohol became the spiritual force within me that led me to peace. Without doubt, the difference was in incorporating The Twelve Steps into my life until they became my life. There is nothing unique about that, I've found. But what I ultimately found was The Power Within me with Whom to have an innermost, personal relationship, just as I understand it. That is what I had always been looking for, but in all the wrong places. A unique solution to a not-so-unique problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael can't solve the problem with the problem. As Bill says "simple but not easy. We had to turn to the light in all things."...Thank you....Armand

      Delete
  2. This Comment Is From A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic

    Armand,

    Well said my brother, for no one is capable of willing away their own will and truth be told, we are all, from the moment of conception totally self willed little creatures by Devine design. God provides us all the free will to choose and loves us all just as we are. Thankfully, He loves us too much to allow us to stay that way. Knowing that some of us are constitutionally incapable of being honest with ourselves He has chosen to provide Himself as the universal pathway of escape from the prison of self-inflicted desolation and destruction. His call is simple, Matthew 28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” And, as St. Paul go's on to exhort all in Romans 12:2: "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." This, is the fundamental calling of the 12 Steps of AA that leads to an eternal manifestation of the "Fruit of the Spirit of God."


    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic A life lived in the will of God is the life we are created to live...Thank you....Armand

      Delete