Thursday, January 26, 2017

Transformation

           In Chapter 2 of Alcoholics Anonymous titled "There Is A Solution" it is stated, "These observations would be academic and pointless if our friend never took the first drink, thereby setting the terrible cycle in motion.  Therefore, the main problem of the alcoholic centers in his mind, rather than in his body." So, although it is true that an alcoholic has a physical allergy it is the mental obsession which is of the utmost importance - a mental obsession that does not limit itself to alcohol.
                Alcoholism is a unique disease in that it is two-fold (as are most addictions in their nature).  We have a physical allergy which ensures us that each and every time we put alcohol or substances of any addictive nature into our system we get sick and we get drunk or we have the rush we chase after until we get into all kinds of trouble.  But of even more importance is that we have this mental obsession, which ensures that even though we don't want to drink and/or use, sooner or later our minds will tell us it's okay to do so. We will put the alcohol or the substance into our system thereby triggering the physical allergy and we will get loaded once again.
               Dr. Silkworth, the medical benefactor of Alcoholics Anonymous, in the letter he supplied to AA suggests that the thought processes of the alcoholic mind had to be transformed.  His letter goes on to state that this transformation of thought must occur and is essential if an alcoholic is to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.  In Bill's story he says, "Simple, but not easy, a price had to be paid. It meant destruction of self centeredness. I must turn in all things to the Father of Light who presides over us all" - a clear description of the transformation which must occur.
                This transformation of thought was difficult for me, even though I understood that it must occur. The difficulty was that I had no understanding of the power and pervasiveness of my human nature and how all-encompassing it is.  I felt a lot of fear in attempting to let go of my mind which was propelled by my human instinct as it was all that I had ever known.  But it is here, in this time and at this moment, when I want to let go and know I need to let go. It is here in this moment now that I must trust in God so that through His grace the transformation of thought may happen.

Written by Armand

4 comments:

  1. My experience has been that the thought processes of my alcoholic mind could not and would not be transformed by the very mind that propelled me into alcoholism. Just as you, I knew that something had to occur. But what that something was, I thought, was beyond me. I was right, it was and is within me. Through incorporating all Twelve Steps into my life, I found The Power Within which was and is everything. My dependence on That Power must be absolute if I am to recover from the weight of my own self-centered mind. I must become mindless. Yet I must still possess thought processes. Whose propulsion, then becomes the transformational question. In The Second Step I learned to trust, and in The Third Step I had to make that final choice. In the remaining Steps, I found me through The Power Within me. Freedom, beauty, love. Transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael when the mind of an alcoholic is propelled by the will of God rather than by their human instinct the transformation has occurred, There the Alcoholic will not drink and will not manifest their True Malady, selfcentered fear in their behavior. They are healed...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. this Comment Is From A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic

    Armand,

    Thanks so much for touching on a state of being which is so often misunderstood, then tragically twisted into a reformulated metaphorical pilgrimage that will never bring us into the "promised land of sobriety." If I might, I would share the following regarding "the benign little Dr. who loved drunks," Dr. William Duncan Silkworth and whom he believed the "Father of Light" and the "Devine Physician" to be as related and published by Dick B. many years ago.

    "Shortly before his death, the author spent an hour with Dr. Norman Vincent Peale, friend of A.A., the Rev. Sam Shoemaker, and Bill Wilson. Dr. Peale told me of the conversations he had with Bill Wilson about Bill's conversion. However, until 1997, I had never heard the following account by Peale about Dr. William Duncan Silkworth. It can be found in Norman Vincent Peale, The Positive Power of Jesus Christ (New York: Foundation for Christian Living, 1980), pp. 60-61. It appears under the title "The Wonderful Story of Charles K.":

    Charles, a businessman in Virginia, had become a full-fledged alcoholic; so much so that he had to have help, and fast, for his life was cracking up. He made an appointment with the late Dr. William Duncan Silkworth, one of the nation's greatest experts on alcoholism, who worked in a New York City hospital [the Charles Towns Hospital]. Receiving Charles into his clinic as a patient, the doctor gave him treatment for some days, then called him into his office. "Charles," he said, "I have done everything I can for you. At this moment you are free of your trouble. But there is an area in your brain where you may hold a reservation and that could, in all likelihood, cause you to return to your drinking. I wish that I might reach this place in your consciousness, but alas, I do not have the skill."

    "But, doctor," exclaimed Charles, "you are the most skilled physician in this field. When I came to you it was to the greatest. If you cannot heal me, then who can possibly do so?" The doctor hesitated, then said thoughtfully, "There is another Doctor who can complete this healing, but He is very expensive."

    "That's all right," cried Charles, "I can get the money. I can pay his fees. I cannot go home until I am healed. Who is this doctor and where is he?"

    "Oh, but this Physician is not at all moderate as to expense," persisted Dr. Silkworth. "He wants everything you've got. He wants you, all of you. Then He gives the healing. His price is your entire self." Then he added slowly and impressively, "His name is Jesus Christ and He keeps office in the New Testament and is available whenever you need Him."

    Dr. Peale then describes the healing of Charles through the power of Jesus Christ." It was through the 12 Steps of AA, the testimony of the founders and the undeniable power of Jesus Christ that this gratefully recovering alcoholic has found all of the above so written to be absolutely experientially true.



    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic love the line "He wants you, all of you." Once when doing a daily inventory I said to myself "God what is it that you want from me. God said to me all of you." I wanted to give all of me but the challenge I had with that, is not understanding the pervasiveness of my human nature and my utter inability to overcome my nature to bring that about. Those repeated experiences have taught me that my surrender brought about only through the grace of God needed to be complete and absolute...Thank you...Armand

      Delete