Thursday, May 5, 2016

Giving

  
                 Initially I had no idea, but to possess the qualities that many of the members of Alcoholics Anonymous possessed took a degree of humility, the characteristic I had none of as I was extremely prideful but now a characteristic I long to possess.
                In the book Alcoholics Anonymous Comes Of Age, in the historic visit to Bill W. from his boarding school chum Ebby T., who at the time had almost been committed for alcoholic insanity, was sober and came to share with Bill what had happened.  He outlined the precepts of the Oxford Group, one of which applies to humility.  He said I was told to practice Giving, the Giving of yourself to somebody.
               Personally, I have learned that it is humility which unlocks the door to the grace of God.  In order to grow in humility I must begin to let go of my selfish desires and begin to have a faith in God which eventually blossoms into a complete trust in God.  Trust in God initially is difficult, as through the course of my life I have used my instincts and my intellect to propel me through life.  But when I was faced with a self imposed crisis that I could not overcome with my human power I had to rely on a higher power.  As the Big Book says "we trust in infinite God rather than finite self."  Today in this day and in this time, I trust in God.  The development of this trust in God leads to a caring of others that was not possible for me before.  An alcoholic who is humble enough to trust in God knows that the Giving of self in the helping of others is a critical tool of recovery.   

4 comments:

  1. As I've discovered through Incorporating The Twelve Steps into my daily life, giving in the proper way actually results in receiving for the giver. For alcoholics, the ultimate takers, humility is an impossibility within a self-centered, alcoholic existence. But the basic goodness of AA is so strong that every newcomer gradually begins to sense some personal value, regardless of the depth of his/her descent. That awareness brings with it the first positive notion for most who have just walked through the doors of AA. A sense of community begins to develop on every level. In my case, a "group of drunks" led me to The Power Within me, and I began to seek a better way. I began to trust. I find that there are no conditions to having a personal relationship with The Power Within. Instead there is a fire to share the love, a yearning to give it away as it is limitless and self-replenishing. The more I give the more I receive - it never ends. That is a fact for me. Giving is receiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael love when you wrote "giving is receiving." It is my self centered fear that has me conscious of protecting my instincts but treated by a vital spiritual experience this fear that exists in my nature no longer has the power to affect my emotional state or my behavior. There I am at peace and my energy is open, giving, and loving. A beautiful way to live...Thank you...Armand

      Delete