Monday, January 12, 2015

Powerlessness Understood

                           So much has been accomplished and a good portion of the program of Alcoholics Anonymous has been completed but now the personal relationship with and the dependence on God takes on a much deeper and all encompassing meaning.
               In the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous in the chapter How It Works it says, "we are in the world to play the role God assigns."  I have learned through experience that this may be accomplished through the practice of the Twelve Steps and specifically by integrating Step Eleven into my life.   But it is the Tenth Step through daily examination where we uncover that our character defects continue to manifest themselves in our behavior, even though this reaction to life is not what we want.  It is here in the conflict of not wanting to manifest my character defects in my behavior but POWERLESS  not to have this occur that I am thrown back into Step One and I can now clearly see that I am not only powerless over my use of alcohol but I am powerless over every aspect of my life.  I had previously learned, at a cognitive level, that all my life must be given to the care and direction of God but now through personal experience I perceive this with more clarity and at a much deeper level.
               It is in the taking of the daily inventory that we begin to fully understand the power and pervasiveness of our character defects encoded in our human nature.  To overcome the manifestation of our character defects in our behavior we must subrogate our human nature too and we must abandon ourselves utterly to the will of God for it is in the infinite power and love of God that we are healed.

2 comments:

  1. What a simple, clear and powerful expression of the immediate daily problem - my reaction to life! I have learned in AA that it is not the events of my life that determine my peace of mind, it is, instead, the manner in which I handle these events - my reactions. This is not a new phenomenon as I have always overreacted, focused on the negative and manifested these inner anxieties in my behavior, try as I might to convince you otherwise. The Tenth Step provides that breath of fresh air, the pause I need to seek my awareness of The Power Within. Simply being touched by that Power, I am relieved of the straight jacket of me on my own in a world too much for me. My life yearns for another direction and only by incorporating The Twelve Steps into my life am I able to walk in the Will of God. What a joy that is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael it is only in how we respond to life's daily events that we can fully understand the source of our power. If I see that my behavior is manifesting my character defects, primarily my selfishness, than I know that my source of power at least for that moment is my human instinct. A recovered alcoholic responds to life's events with love. Selflessly rather than selfishly. For an alcoholic that response can only come when our source of power is God...Thank You...Armand

    ReplyDelete