Thursday, January 22, 2015

Experience The Third Step Prayer

                           Having admitted complete defeat.  Having admitted to our innermost self that we were alcoholic. Understanding that our human power could not overcome our alcoholism.  Having begun to trust in God as a solution to our problem, we were now at Step Three as we had decided, made a final choice, to turn our will which is our thoughts and our life, which is our behavior over to the care of God.  Going forward we are making a final choice that our thought process will no longer be propelled by our human instinct but rather by the will of God.  I got down on my knees and prayed "God I offer myself to thee, to build with me and do with me as Thou wilt.  Relieve me of the bondage of self so that I may better do Thy will.  Take away my difficulties that victory over them will bear witness to Thy power, Thy love and Thy way of life.  May I do Thy will always."
                  This is an important and critical step for the beginning of the transformation of our thought process which is essential and must occur if we are to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.  However this is only a beginning.  Now that we have taken a Third Step we must complete the remaining steps so that the transformation of our thought process is complete.  Once completed we can receive the full benefit of the Third Step prayer as we can trust in God for not only a solution to our use of alcohol but as a solution to all of our problems.

4 comments:

  1. The stress of having to obey or disobey my own thoughts was too much for me. A few drinks took away that pressure but alcohol rendered me a wildman as a result. Buried somewhere inside of me was the knowledge that there had to be another way for me to deal with me, to relieve me of the bondage of me. Only through The Twelve Steps was I able to understand that The Will of God is all there is, and all I'll ever need. The power to understand That Will and to carry it out through daily prayer and meditation has given me the peace of mind I have always sought and which was formerly so elusive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael Once a price that we were willing to pay, no peace of mind. becomes all we need once driven to our knees by alcohol...Thanks...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surrender is a must for the alcoholic. There is no way peace can be accomplished while we stay in our own minds. The human will is so strong that it will lead us to our own destruction. When beaten down to submission and no where else to turn, possibly suggestions can finally set in . If we are willing to make a decision , the Third step prayer takes on power. We find that power that we came to believe in. A Power greater than ourselfs.
    In this prayer we ask, God to relieve us of our own worst enemy, ourselves . It is at this point He will direct us to be honest with ourselves in the remainder of the steps !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don missed your comments. Simple statement but nevertheless well said. You clearly made the point understandable...Thanks...Armand

    ReplyDelete