Friday, April 18, 2014

Motivation To Complete Step Nine

                  The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous says "we have a list of all persons we have harmed and to whom we are willing to make amends.  Now we go out to our fellows and repair the damage done in our past.  We attempt to sweep away the debris that has accumulated out of our effort to live on self will and run the show ourselves.  If we haven't the will to do so , we ask until it comes ( a ninth step prayer).   Remember, it was agreed upon at the beginning that we would go to any lengths for victory over alcohol."   It was difficult for me to find the person to share my Fourth Step with and to share the exact nature of my wrongs with God.  However, I did and I found a sense of relief through the power of  forgiveness.  Now, here I am at Step Nine and it is somewhat daunting but easier as now I have the experience of God on my side.   The Fifth Step brought a sense of relief, the beginning of a serene life and for the first time since I was a small boy, I felt the presence of God in my life.  So knowing that sobriety is not enough, that I desired to be recovered, that the solution is a vital spiritual experience, and having a relationship with God in whom I trust, I therefore had plenty of motivation and the desire to have the humility necessary to make amends to the people I had harmed.
                I learned through the program of Alcoholics Anonymous not to consider any harm they had done to me and besides it was much easier to do so, as I was praying for and forgiving those on my list.  In the Big Book it states "under no condition do we criticize such a person or argue.  Simply we tell them that we will never get over our drinking until we do our utmost to straighten out the past.  We are there to sweep off our side of the street realizing that nothing worthwhile can be accomplished until we do so, never trying to tell them what they must do."
               This is how I approached the Ninth Step.  I began with my immediate family, you know life is funny and things don't always occur in the proper sequence.  My father was deceased and he passed before I had any consciousness that I owed him amends.  So I went to his grave and there grieved over his death and our life together.   My Mom although alive was having serious cognitive problems and although I was able to make verbal amends to her the amends came as she sank deeper into her illness and I was able to care for her.  My sister who was shocked in my attempt to make amends to her, so that all she could say was really, really!  And on it went.  To those I could not see and to those that did not want to see me, I sent a sincere and complete letter and prayed for the best for them.  It really did become easier as I moved through the list.  In the Fifth Step, I began to feel serenity and now with the task complete, I had extricated myself, through the grace of God, from the past and I was free - maybe for the first time in my life.    

6 comments:

  1. The wisdom and power of The Steps in changing my life are articulated meaningfully in this writing. When I first got sober, I ran to this Step as proof to my family that I was recovered. They rightfully shrugged me off with a "time will tell" response. I later learned in the Fifth Step that I had to do a thorough housecleaning in order to achieve the humility, fearlessness and honesty to move forward. My motivation had to be cultivated through a careful understanding of myself and my subsequent desire to live beyond my own will. In being able to rectify the past and reconcile the present through the guidance of a knowing sponsor, the Promises started to become fulfilled in my daily life. The Program of Recovery has proven to me that motivation begets motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael If only one could have the experience of the peace and joy that occurs as a result of completing the program of Alcoholics Anonymous and living in the will of God beforehand no motivation would be needed to complete the steps unfortunately it is with our myopic self that we somehow muddle through not knowing initially that is exactly what it is that we are shedding as we come closer to God...Michael thank you so much...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment Is from a grateful recovering alcoholic
    Motivation To Complete Step Nine
    Armand,


    The touchstone to this step was an overwhelming sense of grief, married to a profound desire to clear the carnage left in the "wake" of an already acknowledged misspent life. I can only describe it as Divinely inspired. I was immersed, for that moment, in the heart of God. No words were said, nor could ever convey the pain I felt in the presence of injured spirits and innocent lives still suffering the emotional scars of every malignant encounter. I was, in that moment, given an incredible gift. The undeserved privilege of being a partaker in the ministry of healing that God would provide to others as He sought to heal the last scars that I, in my selfishness, had carved into the fragile spirits of untold lives.

    Those who were near, gradually experienced refreshment after a sincere confession and a newly consistent display of love, value and respect for their unique person hood. Others, He placed on my heart in preparation as He miraculously brought us together. This is truly a journey that need not take a lifetime to complete. However, If done in the wrong spirit, I have discovered it can become the greatest single impediment to the freedom and healing power contained in Step 10...

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic

    ReplyDelete
  4. a Grateful Recovering Alcoholic In your comment you mentioned your misspent life. This morning as before I made an amends to the Lord for my misspent life that I know I have been forgiven for but I am still so saddened by. I understand that I am here today as a result of my yesterday and I am grateful to be here today but still saddened by a misspent life...Thanks...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rebuilding of life requires much work. In the beginning I committed to go to any length , and A.A. spoke of work that needed to be done to get well. Well here it is , I must be honest as in the 4th step a list needed to be compiled. I must hold true to the fact that I am powerless over everything, so in the process of letting go and letting God I am willing to let Him and my sponsor guide me thru the list of all people I have harmed in every way . Taking responsibility for everything that I played a part in. Blaming no one , and charting a course of action that will make things right between myself and my fellows. If not accepted by others that will not matter for I am to continue on until completion , for if not, the 12steps can't be completed . The steps must be completed for me to be entirely enlightened . The freedom of this experience is truly God given and to be living in His Will is the way He intends for me to live. Not building a past but experiencing my new life, a life he always intended for me !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don As you said "the steps must be completed to be entirely enlightened" and as you point out with the direction of God and a sponsor. How true! Something that has helped me a lot with this is reading the early history of AA so that I have an understanding of how the program was meant to be practiced...Thanks...Armand

    ReplyDelete