Thursday, September 5, 2019

The Root Of The Problem


It is through all our experience with our character defects that we've realized and recognized, set boundaries and applied cognitive therapy and behavioral modification but all to no avail - using these methods is like applying a band aid to a festering sore. What we really must do is get to the root of the problem. Our character defects exist in our human nature, not in the will of God. Therefore, if we are willing to perform the work necessary for the Spirit to be awakened within us by living in the back half of The Eleventh Step, "Praying only for knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry that out" (Alcoholics Anonymous) , our character defects will not and cannot possibly manifest in our behaviors. The power to carry out such knowledge must come from God, as our human nature will only try to sustain our selfish desires. Once we have taken this step we have pulled the root of the problem from it's poisonous soils.
          Some of us have learned through our experiences that we must do this - turn from our human nature and live in the will of God - if our character defects are not to exist in our behavior. Many of us have not.  In Alcoholics Anonymous it is often said, "Let go and let God."  The "let go" part is in the letting go of our thought process propelled by our human instincts. The "let God" part is thereafter, in which we surrender to the idea that God will propel our thought process through His inspiration.  Inspiration is defined as "the thoughts of God implanted in the mind and soul of man."  When this transformation of thought has occurred, the root of the problem has truly been healed.         
 Written by Armand

4 comments:

  1. In probably the greatest paradox of all, I believe we were all born as caring and loving human beings. Fear changed everything. Once that corrosive thread became existent in my life, my fear-dominated human nature was forever compromised in both my thinking and in my behavior. Therein was the problem and alcohol felt like the solution, until it dragged me to my knees in mortal pain. In the program of recovery, I was able to look squarely at the root of the problem - selfish, self-centered, willful yet powerless me. It was only by integrating all Twelve Steps into my life in such a way that they became my life that I was able to become fully aware of The Power Within me - the root and branch of the solution. Simply having that awareness has awakened my divine nature to an understanding of Inspiration just as you've defined it. The result is a caring and loving life of Inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael a blessing exists for us all if we are willing to pay the price...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. Armand,

    The root of the problem is, was and always will be my unwillingness to answer the clear clarion call of God. This is the universal struggle even the most immature mind can comprehend for God's call is unmistakable. His will for the day is always above my understanding and always requires His power to accomplish. He never reveals the end from the beginning for therein is the opportunity for real faith to be manifest for that day’s lesson plan. If I am obedient in the moment and not fear that the “ instant consequences" of my decisions may result in the "perceived loss" of what lies ahead in the unseen future, I will discover the blessing He has in store, deepen my faith and experience the true joy and freedom in life that can be apprehended in no other way.

    Living this life on the surface of the pond is an empty, shallow, false flag adventure at best. A finite illusion of the infinite reality that can only be experienced when I surrender to the True Guide and Lover of my soul. Having been dashed on the rocks too many times to count I have abandoned my swim up the waterfall... For by His grace, mercy, patience and love I am discovering the only Fountain of Life that leads to an ocean of love that is the essence of His being. I am convinced that all of His creation has just one purpose. To provide the perfect environment for all those created in His image to discover Him as He truly is and to spend not only this life but all of eternity in His unspeakably glorious presence, if only we willing to choose to do so...

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic in the present in the will of God is a peaceful place to live...Thank You...Armand

      Delete