Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Experience The Third Step Prayer

Having admitted complete defeat; having admitted to our innermost self that we were alcoholic; having come to the understanding that human power could not overcome our alcoholism; having begun to trust in God as a solution to our problem -- we were now at Step Three. Step Three occurred when we decided, when we made a final choice, to turn our will (which is our thoughts) and our life (which is our behavior) over to the care of God.  Going forward  we make a final choice that our thought process will no longer be propelled by our human instinct but rather by the will of God. 
          We get down on our knees and bow our heads praying, "God I offer myself to thee - To build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life. May I do Thy will always!"
          This is an important and critical step for the beginning of the transformation of our thought process, which is essential and must occur, if we are to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.  However, this is only the beginning.  Now that we have taken a Third Step we must complete the remaining steps so that the transformation of our thought process is complete.  Once completed, we can receive the full benefits of the Third Step Prayer. We can trust in God for not only a solution to our addiction but as a solution to all of our problems.

Written by Armand

7 comments:

  1. A very important prayer which I have repeated every morning over the last eight years. It works-- it really does. One of the most important parts is the sentence about the "bondage of self." The chains of that bondage are formed by my self-centeredness and selfishness-- by my self-consciousness, my shame, guilt, remorse, wants, needs, thoughts about my past, ambitions about my future-- etc. etc. etc. Self! It's the never-ending drumbeat between my ears-- where the dialogue is always about ME. The only solution to a self-centered life is a God-centered life. The Third Step Prayer starts me on that path and the first time I take it, is the first time I begin to trust infinite God rather than my finite self. Then, with the rest of the Steps, I clear the channel, so that I can truly begin to receive God's grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan love when you wrote "the only solution to a self centered life is a God - centered life."...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. Three things in human life are important.
    The first is to be kind.
    The second is to be kind.
    And the third is to be kind
    Henry James Brother of William James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John S yes, the act of kindness sourced from love...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  3. Michael C.

    To change a thought requires far more than my self-centered mind can undertake. To change an entire way of thinking is nothing short of miraculous, at least for the mind of a chronic alcoholic. Believing in nothing, I had no choices or options other than my own. Thus, I became a prisoner of self, a self-policing slave. In The Third Step, a knowing and caring sponsor explained the notion of “final choice.” No longer could I waffle, waiver and wait. I had to steadfastly decide - now. I had to make the final choice to integrate all Twelve Steps into my life in such a way that they became my life - instead of my self-centered based unhappy existence As The Big Book points out, spiritual action is the ultimate action. The chapter “Into Action” addresses Steps Five through Eleven. It’s where the action is. But, as you repeatedly point out, the final choice stimulates the action and the action stimulates the inspiration of The Power within me which follows. My experience aligns preciously with this spiritual simplicity.

    Sent from my iPhone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael isn't it the truth. I had to decide now...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing Armand,

    How many years were waisted trying to plot the day's journey using an outdated map with missing pages only to finally discover the "GPS" in my glove box. Just pull it out, plug it in, follow the directions and enjoy the ride, assured of arrival at the final destination. As each day begins with opportunities masquerading as complex problems I need not fear any outcome for by His grace I've decided to place all that I am or ever hope to be firmly in the hands of the Master Planner.

    ReplyDelete