Monday, December 17, 2018

Become The Being That God Created

When I first walked through the doors of Alcoholics Anonymous I had no idea what to expect. Though quickly I was able to see what worked in others -  a belief in and dependence upon God.  As Bill once said "Would I have it? Of course I would."
          The Sixth Step of the program of  Alcoholics Anonymous is "We were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character."  We learn through the program of Alcoholics Anonymous that alcohol is but a symptom of our true malady, our true malady is in fact self-centered fear. We are afraid we are not going to get what we want, afraid that we are going to lose what we have.  Once our fears are triggered we reach for our character defects in an attempt to satiate our human instincts.  The dictionary defines defect as, "the lack of something necessary for completion or perfection."
          We learn in the Fourth Step of the program that it is necessary to find out what it is about us that keeps the Grace of God from our lives. It is in doing this that we discover the exact nature of our wrongs, as we make the list of our defects. In the Fifth Step of the program we confess our character defects.  Then, in the Sixth Step, we are entirely ready and willing to have these defects removed.
          It is our character defects that keep us from the perfection of God - from becoming the human being God created each of us to be and not the self-centered people who care only for their human desires and what they think they need in life.  A person who is willing to use almost any means necessary to fulfill their desires is sick.
          With all of our human flaws we can become the being God created us to be when we turn from our human nature and surrender to His will.

Written by Armand

5 comments:

  1. In the program of recovery I learned that, at one time, my entire character was defective. As a result, all my relationships were equally defective. Only by the removal of these defects would I be able to become the person I was born to be. However, beyond mere willingness, I had to be entirely ready. That meant that whatever I had relied on to get me through my fear-based life had to replaced with Trust. That Trust would, in turn, lead me to worthwhile and attainable desires instead of the waste matter of my self-centered and misdirected instincts. By integrating all Twelve Steps into my life in such a way that they became my life, I found the Power Within me to guide me to becoming the person I was born to be. Once that transformation became possible, I had a path which I could thoroughly follow.....and then a reason to completely give myself away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael love the term 'misdirected instincts.' in the will Of God are human instincts are used for good...thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. Armand, thanks again for sharing.

    Once this portion of the process is apprehended, I soon discover that I no longer fear the loss of the life once lived for it has been cast, like so much refuse, into the trash pail of sinful actions forgiven and forgotten by the Creator of all. An inexplicable shift in paradigm has occurred, the animal appetite needs no longer be sated, my fleshly desires have lost their allure, the obsession has been removed. In its place grows a consuming desire to drink at the Masters well as I pray:

    Gracious God, knowledge of You is my purpose and passion. It is my greatest need and most urgent desire. I really want to know You... not just as Creator and Sustainer of the universe but as my Father and Friend. I confess that often my lack of knowledge of You is the direct cause of my insecurity, inconsistency, insufficiency and vacillation in my prayers.

    Lord, I commit this day to seeking to know You better, To open my true self to You; I desire to be real, honest and vulnerable with You; I invite You to invade every aspect of my life. Show me Your will and give me the strength and courage to follow Your guidance. Help me to dedicate myself to making the knowledge of You my first priority. Reveal Your grace and goodness, Your righteousness and power as life on life's terms becomes a joy filled adventure engaged in frequent visits to the mercy seat of the One who refines me in the fire of Your love. It is a miracle, as a new and unspeakably holy freedom is experienced and explored, the old life has passed away, a new life begun.

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic


    ReplyDelete
  3. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic we are not a miracle but that which has occurred for us is...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  4. My true malady is self-centered fear. I want control of that which I cannot control. When I don’t depend on God and seek his will and live in his will I find myself unable to live. My defects keep me stuck and separated. No human power can relive me of my alcoholism. I have to have complete dependence on God and trust in him. I need to believe and live in faith not fear. I must live in the day and move forward from the past and not project into the future. I need God’s guidance and direction. I must sit quietly; when I seek god, I find him. In finding God, I find myself. When I straighten out spiritually, I will straighten out mentally & physically. I need to let go and let God.

    ReplyDelete