Thursday, August 23, 2018

Self Will Or God's Will?

      The importance of Step Three is that a decision is made, a final choice, for our thought processes to no longer be propelled by our human instinct, or Self Will, but rather by God's Will through inspiration.  Inspiration is defined as "the thoughts of God implanted in the mind and soul of man."  The Third Step is, "made a decision to to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God, as we understood Him."  In the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous in the chapter How It Works it states "the first requirement for taking the Third Step is that we be convinced", meaning that we have exhausted all argument, "that any life run on Self Will can hardly be a success.  Remember that we deal with alcohol-cunning, baffling, powerful.  Without help it is too much for us. But there is One who has all power, that One is God may you find Him now."  It also states "selfishness, self centeredness that, we think, is the root of our troubles.  So are troubles we think are of our own making.  And the alcoholic is an extreme example of Self -Will run riot though he usually doesn't think so."
      Again Self Will is our thoughts propelled by our human instincts.  The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous says "above everything we must be rid of this selfishness and there often seems no way of entirely getting rid of Self without His aid."
     I have learned through the program of Alcoholics Anonymous that I have three basic instincts, a social, a sexual and a security instinct.  These instincts are God given and necessary for life, but in me I can never get enough of what it is I think I need.  The great psychiatrist Sigmund Freud defines an instinct as a bodily need manifested   in our thought processes.  It is here that my character defects exist, but those same character defects which will always exist in my human nature to some extent cannot possibly be manifested in our behavior when our thought processes is propelled By God's Will through Inspiration.
Written By Armand

8 comments:

  1. Well said! Self will run riot. Suffering brought me to the realization that I was "convinced" the I can no longer run my show. I needed to be a part of a larger plan where I had God direct my thinking. Where I hit the wall was how to understand Gods will for me. My sponsor is currently taking me through a process the early AA members went through when they were still associated with the Oxford Group. The process consists of prayer and meditation that Bill refers to in the Big Book. I am convinced that without Gods daily direction I am nothing. Just another animal roaming the earth for a short period of time. The long term power of AA is not just staying sober, but transforming our lives for the betterment of ourselves and for others. This can ONLY happen through a relationship with God. The Oxford Group were on right path. Our fellowship needs to go back and relearn the power of what our original forefathers knew from the Oxford Group. I am convinced that God transformed my alcoholism into a path for me to love and to serve Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim a recovered alcoholic places the needs of others above their own. The thing is, in the will of God it isn't a decision, that was made long ago, it is an action compelled by God's love...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. My self will was the ultimate conundrum. It had driven me relentlessly but lead me nowhere except into a dark abyss. From that dismal depth I mismanaged my life and misconducted my relationships to the point of isolation and despair. I cursed myself and in that process I became a curse. Alcohol presented a way out of my self-shoveled hole, the only way out. But alcohol, like my self will, utterly failed me, taking me to the most depraved depth of my humanity. Until on one springtime Sunday morning, I conceded to my innermost self that I was an alcoholic and that I was willing to go to any length to find a real way, a purposeful way of living my life. Incorporating all Twelve Steps into my life in such a way that they have now become my life introduced me to a will within me heretofore felt but never awakened. It is through that will, the will of The Power Within me that I have been awakened to my divine nature and to that very same nature in every one of us. My thought process is no longer directed by my self-centered ego but by the mindless power of my spirit. My will has never worked and never will. Only His Will will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Micheal a life without alcohol is a step in the right direction, a life with God is a purposeful, joyful one leading to a completeness of our real purpose - to love and serve God and others...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  3. As Step's 1 & 2 imply, the initial catalyst for reaching out to the God of my understanding was absolute desperation in that I had exhausted every other known earthly option or avenue that would, or could, extricate me from the self imposed dilemma and the consequences thereof. I had deliberately chosen to live a life in direct opposition to the known will of God whenever my unsated appetites beckoned; finding myself, by my own design, on the precipice of an eternity in a continuous living hell.

    This time there was no employment of my well honed negotiating skills. No shallow foxhole prayers, only to immediately fall back to my alcohol fueled journey into debauchery once the immediate crisis had passed. This time was different. This alcoholic knew it was an ignominious and eternal death or complete surrender. And as I later learned; that revelation, like a white hot lightning bolt that burst into the core of my being, was a gift from a Loving Father that had not, and will not ever give up on me.

    My entire life of rebellion was instantaneously revealed in space and time. Yet, immersed in that encounter with the God of all Eternity was an overwhelming Presence of love and compassion beyond telling. He wasn't asking for all that I was willing to surrender at that time, but the one thing I still wished to hold back.. Yet, as Jesus lovingly beckoned I finally, fatefully spiritually collapsed and surrendered the one thing that had always stood in the way of my redemption, me...

    As I pored my life out at His feet, all of the guilt and shame associated with my past was immediately washed away. I was, in the most profound sense reborn. From that point on following the Steps was assured. Not easy... but assured, and has, together with study and inspired implementation of His Word brought me into a time of refreshment and joy of living that is well beyond my wildest dreams. Today, life is a bountiful continuous lyric of "Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me... I was lost but now I'm found, was blind but now I see"..

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic you wrote "this alcoholic knew it was an ignominius and eternal death or complete surrender." For me that realization took some time as at some level I was unwilling to completely surrender and totally unaware of the power of my nature. A willingness to do so however places us in a position to be graced by His power....Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  4. In taking step 3 I am committing at once to starting step 4 and I can only do this with the help of my higher power. It is but a beginning but a very powerful step because it is the keystone at the top of the arch to freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Missed you. It really does help to have God with us when we do the 4th Step...Thank you...Armand

      Delete