Monday, June 13, 2016

Self-Centeredness

             
When I become angry or resentful, it is in that moment that I manifest my human SELF-CENTEREDNESS.  In the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous it says "that we think is the root of our troubles."  It also goes on to say "It is plain that a life which includes deep resentment leads only to futility and unhappiness.  To the precise point that we permit these do we squander the hours that might have been worthwhile.  But with the alcoholic whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a spiritual experience, this business of resentment is infinitely grave.  We found it fatal!  For when harboring such thoughts we cut ourselves off from the sunlight of the spirit."
           The solution to our alcoholism is a vital spiritual experience.  We must give life to our relationship with God.  We accomplish this by turning from our human nature and living in the will of God.  We receive God's will through inspiration conditioned by prayer  and meditation.  We can't possibly be in the will of God when we are manifesting SELF - CENTEREDNESS in our lives , but by sobrogating our human nature to the will of God we cannot possibly manifest the SELF - CENTEREDNESS of our human nature in our behavior.  

Written by Armand

6 comments:

  1. I've learned this from the program of recovery clearly spelled out in The Big Book: any negative thought is, by definition, self-centered. Anger, resentment, jealousy etc can cause my mind to compress into a powerful projectile of negativity. And my mind will eventually tell my mouth what to say, and convince my will as to what to do. At that point, I am a lost human being, incapable of love and tolerance, and more-than-capable of drinking. While I may still attend meetings and not drink, my sobriety will be precarious. Thus, I must actively seek a vital spiritual experience, not simply wait for it to occur. How? By incorporating The Twelve Steps into my life. In order and in context until a spiritual rhythm is activated leading to the music of peace of mind. The Steps enable me to be present to The Power Within me - conscious contact - and to be aware of always-available Light guiding me within to The Power in residence. From self-centered and selfish to centered and never-alone self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael really liked when you wrote "spiritual rhythm is activated leading to the music of peace of mind." When I manifest my self centeredness in my behavior as opposed to my awareness of the will of God I am living a double life which can only cause conflict in my emotional state. The surrender of my thought process propelled by my human instinct to a thought process propelled by the will of God through inspiration leads me to a state of peace and also to the optimization of my nature as God intended...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anger might tell me I am needing to be more assertive (not a doormat). Or, it could be something in me that's aggressive wanting it's way. To me the latter is self will used in-effectively (sin, missing the mark). God's love is there when I miss the mark. For me that is the grace that loves me where I am right now, as I am. Biggest trigger to self centeredness in ME might be excessive concern about what others are thinking about ME? Me me me (it's all about me) is self centeredness to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spiritual Being thank you for sharing yourself to us. The solution to our alcoholism and all our problems is a vital spiritual experience...Thanks...Armand

      Delete
  4. The doormat anger might lead to positive assertiveness guided by God and or support of AA peers or communication skill building course. Anger can be good, a message from God. BUT, it's my relationship to God (is my conscious contact with truely loving wise counsel accessible) that defines angers outcomes. My ego playing the maryter or turning natural good healthy emotions into self hate or projected hostility are dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I pray for Gods will if I'm angry, usually it helps introduce love into the scenario. Compassion for self and others arises, my language softens, sometimes I notice under the anger are more vulnerable feelings. If I can be with these in God's Presence, when they are fresh feelings, resentments don't form (calcified anger) and constructive solutions emerge.

    ReplyDelete