Thursday, March 8, 2018

Moral Psychology

 Featured in "The Doctors Opinion" of Alcoholics Anonymous is a letter from Dr. William D. Silkworth, the Medical Director of Townes Hospital in New York City (a renowned hospital during that time for the treatment of alcoholics). One of the founders of Alcoholics Anonymous and primary author of Alcoholics Anonymous, Bill W., was under Dr. Silkworth's care on three separate occasions there. In Dr. Silkworth's letter he states, "We doctors have realized for a long time that some form of  moral psychology was of urgent importance to alcoholics ... unless [the alcoholic] can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope for his recovery."          
          Dr. Silkworth and his colleagues believed that not only did the thought processes of the mind need to be completely transformed but the source of what powered these thought processes altered as well.  The American Heritage Dictionary defines psychology as "the science that deals with mental processes and behavior" and it holds the word moral synonymous with the word virtuous. Therefore, what the experts formulated was that the thought processes of the mind had to become virtuous.  In order for this to occur the mind of the alcoholic could no longer be propelled by its own human nature or instincts but rather by the will of God through inspiration. As the latter part of the 11th Step bids, "...praying only for the knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry that out."                    
          The psychic change is the very core component of the solution to alcoholism - to any and all addictions, really. Through the grace of God (the source that powers the thought processes), a transformed and virtuous thought process is possible and it is real. If one experiences such a change they can recover from this disease of alcoholism and to any and all other vices, habits and addictions this disease encompasses.


Written by Armand

4 comments:

  1. Armand,

    Thanks so much for touching on the psychic change referred to by Dr. Silkworth which inarguably references the miracle of conversion which is so often misunderstood then tragically twisted into a reformulated metaphorical pilgrimage that will never bring us into the "promised land of sobriety." If I might, I would share the following regarding "the benign little Dr. who loved drunks," Dr. William Duncan Silkworth and whom he believed the "Father of Light" and the "Devine Physician" to be, as related and published by Dick B. many years ago.

    "Shortly before his death, the author spent an hour with Dr. Norman Vincent Peale, friend of A.A., the Rev. Sam Shoemaker, and Bill Wilson. Dr. Peale told me of the conversations he had with Bill Wilson about Bill's conversion. However, until 1997, I had never heard the following account by Peale about Dr. William Duncan Silkworth. It can be found in Norman Vincent Peale, The Positive Power of Jesus Christ (New York: Foundation for Christian Living, 1980), pp. 60-61. It appears under the title "The Wonderful Story of Charles K.":
    "Charles, a businessman in Virginia, had become a full-fledged alcoholic; so much so that he had to have help, and fast, for his life was cracking up. He made an appointment with the late Dr. William Duncan Silkworth, one of the nation's greatest experts on alcoholism, who worked in a New York City hospital [the Charles Towns Hospital].

    Receiving Charles into his clinic as a patient, the doctor gave him treatment for some days, then called him into his office. "Charles," he said, "I have done everything I can for you. At this moment you are free of your trouble. But there is an area in your brain where you may hold a reservation and that could, in all likelihood, cause you to return to your drinking. I wish that I might reach this place in your consciousness, but alas, I do not have the skill."

    "But, doctor," exclaimed Charles, "you are the most skilled physician in this field. When I came to you it was to the greatest. If you cannot heal me, then who can possibly do so?" The doctor hesitated, then said thoughtfully, "There is another Doctor who can complete this healing, but He is very expensive."That's all right," cried Charles, "I can get the money. I can pay his fees. I cannot go home until I am healed. Who is this doctor and where is he?"

    "Oh, but this Physician is not at all moderate as to expense," persisted Dr. Silkworth. "He wants everything you've got. He wants you, all of you. Then He gives the healing. His price is your entire self." Then he added slowly and impressively, "His name is Jesus Christ and He keeps office in the New Testament and is available whenever you need Him. Dr. Peale then describes the healing of Charles through the power of Jesus Christ."

    This "Good News" is the clarion call being found through out all of the Bible. Even a quick study of just three Old Testament verses, 2 Chronicles 7:14-16, written three thousand years ago reveals, in its entirety, the spiritual process and promise of all 12 Steps of AA. "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear them from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 15 Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place.16 For now I have chosen and sanctified this house, that My name may be there forever; and My eyes and My heart will be there perpetually." It was through the 12 Steps of AA, the testimony of the founders and the undeniable power of Jesus Christ that this gratefully recovering alcoholic has found all of the above so written to be absolutely experientially true.



    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic anyone who says time doesn't matter in AA doesn't have any time as it is only through life experience that the power and pervasiveness of my nature is understood and that the surrender of that nature can only occur through the grace of God...Thank You...Armand

      Delete
  2. My minds was powered by amalgam of unfortunate things, including fear, pride, and an aching lack of self-esteem. All of these when combined rendered me bordering on self-loathing. The addition of alcohol into my psyche finished the job. Yet, even at my lowest, there was some form of moral psychology within me at my deepest level. From that tiny mustard seed has grown a strong sense of The Power Within me. That was simply not possible without the sponsor-driven incorporation of The Twelve Steps in such a was that my life changed - as my psyche changed. I now know the presence of peace in a way far more meaningful than its absence. As a result, I no longer need alcohol to buoy my deadened spirit. As is available to all of us, my spirit has been awakened but will continue to be awakened only by giving myself away.



    Posted by Michael C. to A Ladder to Above at March 8, 2018 at 8:23 PM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael such an incredible transformation in your life occurred as you were humble enough to surrender your nature to the will of God. Just remarkable Michael...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete