Sunday, October 4, 2020

Experience The Third Step Prayer

 


Having admitted complete defeat; having admitted to our innermost self that we were alcoholic; having come to the understanding that human power could not overcome our alcoholism; having begun to trust in God as a solution to our problem -- we were now at Step Three. Step Three occurred when we decided, when we made a final choice, to turn our will (which is our thoughts) and our life (which is our behavior) over to the care of God.  Going forward  we make a final choice that our thought process will no longer be propelled by our human instinct but rather by the will of God. 

          We get down on our knees and bow our heads praying, "God I offer myself to thee - To build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life. May I do Thy will always!"
          This is an important and critical step for the beginning of the transformation of our thought process, which is essential and must occur, if we are to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.  However, this is only the beginning.  Now that we have taken a Third Step we must complete the remaining steps so that the transformation of our thought process is complete.  Once completed, we can receive the full benefits of the Third Step Prayer. We can trust in God for not only a solution to our addiction but as a solution to all of our problems.

Written by Armand

4 comments:

  1. Decision equals final choice when it comes to recovery from the physical, mental, and spiritual annihilation that alcohol ultimately administered. That final choice is to integrate all Twelve Steps into my life in such a way that I will know and love who I am - not what I have been doing with my life. My thinking and my behavior will henceforth be the determinants of how fully the integration transformation is progressing within me. That determination is complete;y dependent upon effort. Understanding, I believe, is the fruit of that effort. For me, Understanding begins with the certainty of the presence of The Power Within me. In that presence, my thought-propulsion will will be guided through Inspiration, not through self-centered, willful compulsion. I will learn "how it works,"and then move "into action." From there I surely know that there is a "vision for me."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael as the Big Book says "a crucial and vital step."...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Armand,

    As you’ve pointed out, Step Three is the ONLY gateway to the following Steps that all but guarantee recovery… During the 80 years that AA has been in existence many secular “recovery” groups have sprung up that focus on "methods that use both Motivational Enhancement Therapy and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy components to engender change of self-destructive behaviors.” Some hold that "everyone has a 'sober self' inside them and ‘works' on developing techniques to enhance this version of self instead of the 'addict self' who has previously been in control of all decisions and led to destruction in life.”

    They naturally appeal to those still enslaved in the prison of self worship that cannot and will not bring themselves to the spiritual point of surrender to God that AA’s Step Three ABSOLUTELY requires. Most of this fodder has been circulating in AA’s rooms for years and is clearly addressed in “How it Works” - "Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our directions. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a way of life which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average. There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.”

    But be of good cheer for such a one was I... until I finally accepted that alcohol was merely the vehicle that God allowed in my life to bring me to the point of absolute surrender to Him. From then on I no longer lingered in the crippling fear of the outcome of each days journey as what had formally masqueraded as complex problems were clearly revealed to be opportunities for change by His grace as I had decided to surrender all that I am or ever hope to be firmly into the hands of the Supreme Master Planner whom I now acknowledge as God. And so, I begin each day with a simple prayer:

    "Dearest Lord God and Heavenly Father, as I begin this day I acknowledge my total dependence upon You. Revelation of Your truth comes in relationship with You, and Your inspiration is given when I am illuminated by Your Spirit. Therefore, as I enter and prepare for this day's decisions I now open my innermost mind to the inflow of Your Spirit as I lay this days problems and perplexities as they occur, at your feet. Lord, flood my mind with Your thoughts and my spirit with Your Presence so that all whom I encounter throughout this day may know of a certainty that You truly abide deep within. Amen..

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic As you said so well and I will repeat in my words because this is so important. Applying Cognitive Therapy and Behavioral Mortification to our alcoholism is like applying a band aid to an infected festering sore. To cure the sore we need to apply the 12 Steps begining with the Third...Thank you...Armand

      Delete