Thursday, December 22, 2016

Another Way To Look At Step Ten


        I like to think of the Tenth Step of the AA program as a hallway - a hallway that I must walk down in order to come into the room in which I can live with God. This hallway needs daily repair as the ceiling is leaking, there are holes in the walls and the floor is buckled. Fortunately, the program of Alcoholics Anonymous has given us an instructional manual so that we can pass through, although we may be encumbered at first.
         Another way to look at this is as if God is the light and my human defects are a clouded glass which no light can shine through.  As I begin to incorporate the program of AA into my life and begin to develop a relationship with God, some of the glass clears and some of the light shines through.  As I continue to incorporate the Twelve Steps into my life, the glass clears even more and even more of the light shines through.  Finally, the day arrives when the glass is transparent and all of the light shines through and it is in this moment that I am one with God and free of the manifestation of my character defects.
          Incorporate the Tenth Step into your daily existence and, eventually, into all your waking moments. We must be persistent. Persistence is the time between the promise of God and the provision of God. Thereafter, a life free of anxiety, fear and resentment can be experienced; cloaked in harmony, peace and serenity.

Written by Armand

4 comments:

  1. The Big Book refers to The Tenth Step as entering "the realm of the spirit." In other words, this is my new home, the place where The Power Within me can replace the shallowness of my human-only way of life. Our next function, suggests The Big Book, is to "grow in understanding and effectiveness." To me, that means that I will now grow toward understanding the true purpose of my life, and in activating my value in helping and serving others. I can best do so by incorporating what I've learned into my every interaction with others, promptly admitting when I'm wrong. The resultant dynamic is an elevation of my spirit which, over time, provides a warmth, clarity, and simplicity that I've never before reliably experienced. It is simply a new land. I am not alone. I am home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael self examination has been an integral component in many religious and spiritual traditions. Alcoholics Anonymous is no different. Thank you for sharing your experience...Armand

      Delete
  2. This Comment Is From A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic

    Armand, thanks for sharing,


    Having cleared away the wreckage of my past and established a relationship with God through the previous steps, I now discover that I have been propelled into a new dimension. Life is no longer a cold grey prison but a technicolor journey to the Source of Infinite Love. What was once a mystery is now crystal clear. The steps are no longer a mere set of suggestions penned upon a page but a lifestyle destination engraved upon my heart. The Holy Spirit now resides within me. His presence is unmistakable and my conscience, once seared to a whisper is now sensitive to every wayward thought, word and deed.

    He lovingly compels me to seek out His way and gently reveals the Source of this conversation as Himself, the Lover of my soul. He expands and refines my 11th step intimacy into a continuous conversation, as moment by moment, I discover that even my most seemingly insignificant daily actions begin to become my most fervent prayer. As I continue on this journey, the Source of the program, the collective witness of the founders and the True Inspiration of the message is now simply contained in 1 John: 1-9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness". It is a miraculously incomprehensible fact that the pure and holy God of all eternity Himself personally reaches out, initiates and finally completes this ongoing process with all who are willing to surrender to Him. To Him be the glory forever and ever, Amen...

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic love the line "my conscience, once seared to a whisper is now sensitive to every wayward thought, word and deed." How true this is as it is easy to see the darkness when we live in the light...Thank you Armand

      Delete