Thursday, June 14, 2018

Can't Solve The Problem With The Problem

       Our lives were lived to constantly fuel and satisfy our desires. We protected our instincts that were warped by fear and self-absorption. We lived our lives in defiance wrapped around our own self-centeredness - with extreme sensitivity and grandiosity.  Our nature could never initiate or sustain true, honest relations with other human beings. We were forever searching outside of ourselves, completely unaware that the solution to our problem lay within. These lives we lived, fueled by fear and insatiable desires to appease our human instincts, became so anxiety-filled that we increasingly sought escape as a way to experience ease and comfort within.  We were a contradiction unto ourselves.
         As for myself, the escape was the increasing use of alcohol that led to addiction. I sought control over my addiction yet to no avail.  This inability to control created a series of very negative consequences in my life. I was driven by a self-will that knew no boundaries. I constantly attempted to fix the problem with my own internal drive.  I was trying to solve my problem with my problem.  We cannot ever solve the problem with the problem.
         I was unaware of the uniqueness of the disease in that it is a two-fold one. We have a physical  allergy, which ensures that each and every time we put the substance(s) into our system we will get sick, drunk/high, and into all kinds of trouble. But, more importantly, we have a mental obsession which ensures that even though we don't want to drink or use or behave in such a way our disease wants us to. Sooner or later our minds will tell us it's ok. We will satiate our desires, we will trigger the physical allergy and we will ultimately succumb to the hand of addiction. Time after time, using our minds to create a way to control our disease and always failing to do so is proof to us that we can't solve the problem with the problem.
      The solution to our problem with alcohol, with drugs, and with every problem borne from our defective, ill nature is a relationship with God. Through a vital spiritual experience which we temper and enlighten with prayer and meditation we foster such a relationship.  The experience occurs in our lives when the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous are integrated into it. We practice the steps in such a way that they become our lives so that the problem will be solved.

Written by Armand

7 comments:

  1. We must change everything or nothing will change. As Jesus said to Nicodemus, we must be born again of the spirit. A new life. A new way of thinking. As Jesus said to the parapalygic by the pool, pick up your mat and walk. The power must come from the spirit for me to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jim god is everything or He is nothing. Either God is or He isn't. What was our choice to be?...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael C.

    My will was so pervasive and my spiritual ignorance so deep that, even after decades of sobriety in AA, I was still attempting to fix the broken hammer with the hammer that was broken. As a result, real peace of mind was not possible. Starting again with the basics - The Big Book, The Step Book, the guidance of a BB sponsor, literature meetings, interest in AA history etc - I began to see The Light. Through incorporating The Steps into life until I could feel my life transforming, I knew I was headed to that Light. Through The Power Within me, recovery is a process of true transformation from a man who did not belong to himself to a man who does. As a result, love, value and purpose have filled the void once fully occupied by emptiness. It seems that only a vital spiritual experience can make that possible. Al least for me.
    Michael C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael using our intellect to solve our Alcoholism will never work. One can not drink and still suffer from untreated alcoholism...Thank you...Armand

      Delete

  4. Well said my brother, for no one is capable of willing away their own will and truth be told, we have no desire to do so. From the very beginning of our earthly journey we instinctively turn to full throttle fits of rage until our demands are met, our bellies are full and a freshly powered diaper is wrapped around our bottoms... Some of us have been fortunate in our upbringing and are lovingly given healthy boundaries. Some of us have been raised by wolves.... But with the help of God, all can recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

    But, I chose my own way, made my own plans and justified my excesses with nonsensical arguments that could only have been birthed in the dark dank cellar of a self-deluded mind. Life finally became a desperate race for any elixir to numb the pain of a journey with no meaning and a future destination too terrifying to contemplate. Alcohol became both vehicle and fuel for my afterburner fired journey through the gates of a living Hell... Yet, when all hope was lost, when death became the only frighteningly attractive option left, an Unseen Hand reached out from eternity and in the rarest moment of sanity, I cried out in desperation and remorse to that same God I had ignored and abandoned for most all of my life.

    And, In that very instant, in that very place, I discovered that like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz the "ruby slippers" had been available all along. I simply chose to ignore them. The 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous are in a very real sense the "ruby slippers" of a Loving God's personal invitation, otherwise ignored by this once flint headed individual, to that radical change that finally brings us home. Today, I have no need to fear the future nor regret the past for I am convinced that He is more than able and faithful to complete the good work He has begun in me and all who humbly seek His face just one day at a time, every day of our lives, until we meet Him face to face.

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic driven to our knees by a life we engineered we cried out for God to help us. The first step to the humility necessary to unlock the door to the grace of God...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  5. Kevin as you describe a daily practice of the principles of Alcoholics Anonymous leads to a life, A real life of PEACE serenity and joy...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete