Thursday, August 30, 2018

Experience The Third Step Prayer

            Having admitted complete defeat; having admitted to our innermost self that we were alcoholic; having come to the understanding that human power could not overcome our alcoholism; having begun to trust in God as a solution to our problem -- we were now at Step Three.  Step Three occurs when we decide, (a final choice), to turn our will (which is our thoughts) and our life (which is our behavior) over to the care of God.  We decide that our thought process will no longer be propelled by our human instinct but rather by the will of God. 
          We get down on our knees and bow our heads praying, "God I offer myself to thee - To build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life. May I do Thy will always!"
          This is an important and critical step for the beginning of the transformation of our thought process, which is essential and must occur, if we are to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.  However, this is only the beginning.  Now that we have taken a Third Step we must complete the remaining steps so that the transformation of our thought process is complete.  Once completed, we can receive the full benefits of the Third Step Prayer. We can trust in God for not only   a solution to our addiction but as a solution to all of our problems.

Written by Armand

6 comments:

  1. Michael C.

    The notion that my thoughts and my subsequent behavior can and must be propelled by something greater than my human instincts is the bedrock upon which my life is structured today. Why? Because that awareness makes it a matter of the spirit, not of the mind. My mind and its dogged will never answered the question of love for me. My spirit simply knows and serves. There is a process for this kind of first-hand transformation. It can only come about through the unfiltered incorporation of all Twelve Steps into our lives in such a way that our lives become ours. To love and to live and to give away. This gift is available to all. It is my responsibility to give of me, to give all of me. In return receiving all of me through The Power Within me is the result and the ultimate reward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael love when you wrotr "to love live and to give away."...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love our program as a way of living. I would of never reached my current level of love for the Lord without it. I was always a big talker. I had many plans and projects which I never finished. My actions did not reflect my words. My ego was on charge of my thoughts and what I said. I've made some great decisions in my life, but my batting average wouldn't get on the Little League all star team. The process of Steps 1, 2 and 3 are brilliant! It introduced to me a pattern of thinking that is repeatable. When I made the decision in my Step 3, I had no idea how much putting the 3rd Step decision in action would transform my life. My transformation could only be meaningful if I could build upon my progress each day in the program. Then unconsciously the progress I was making in AA would impact all aspects of my life. The fruits of that change can be seen in my actions and positive impacts that I have on other people. Best results have come in deeper and loving relationships. I dont so much listen to what people say anymore, I listen to their works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim you are the being that God created you to be...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing Armand,

    How many years were waisted trying to plot the day's journey using an outdated map with missing pages over harrowing terrane impossible to navigate only to finally discover the GPS in my glove box had been there all along. Just plug it in, follow the directions and enjoy the ride, assured of arrival at the final destination. As each day begins with opportunities masquerading as complex problems I need not fear any outcome for by His grace I've decided to place all that I am or ever hope to be firmly in the hands of the Master Planner. And so, I begin each day with a simple prayer:

    "Dearest Lord God, as I begin this day I acknowledge my total dependence upon You. Revelation of Your truth comes in relationship with You, and Your inspiration is given when I am illuminated with Your Spirit. Therefore, as I enter and prepare for this day's decisions I now open my innermost mind to the inflow of Your Spirit as I lay this days problems and perplexities at your feet. Lord, flood my mind with Your thoughts and my spirit with Your Presence so that all whom I encounter throughout this day may know of a certainty that You truly abide deep within my soul. Amen..

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Grateful Recovering Alcoholic great prayer...Thank you...Armand

      Delete