Monday, June 11, 2018

Trust In God


         There is an old Biblical story which relates to having trust in God.  When the Jewish people left Egypt, "The Exodus", God had prepared a land for them - The Promised Land.  The Promised Land was an eleven day journey from Egypt. Moses sent a scout from each of the twelve tribes to explore The Promised Land and report back. They reported that the area was magnificent, a land flowing with milk and honey, but the people there are powerful and the cities well fortified. What's more, "we saw giants seven to nine feet tall". This caused fear in the people. The only scouts willing to face their fear (by trusting in God) were Caleb and Joshua, both willing to enter The Promised Land. The Jewish people decided not to enter. For the next forty years the Jews wandered around in the wilderness until all those who were over twenty at the time had died.  Once again, they stood at The Promised Land and only Caleb and Joshua who were over twenty from forty years ago were allowed to enter as they had been willing to face their fears by trusting in God.

           We each have our own exodus from our own addiction. We became weary of wandering around the wilderness alone. We were ill. We were finished. We face our fears by trusting in God and we enter The Promised Land - a land of serenity, peace and joy. Are you ready?  Have you come to believe that a power greater than yourself could restore you to sanity? Have you come to trust in that power?

Written By Armand

6 comments:

  1. Yes. Yes. Yes. But how? I believe I will never perfect my program. My competency in the lessons of the BB ebb and flow throughout my time. I just know that if I surrender my life and will over to the care of God (3rd Step) I am heading in the right direction. I know that if I continue to work on my humility and let God handle the big stuff (7th Step) I can survive anything. And finally, if I can listen and be obedient to Gods will in my prayer and meditation I can walk through this life with the opportunity to spend eternity with my Father in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim know that all things are possible through Him...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. rmand, a wonderful topic.

    God hasn't ransomed us just to release us back into the prison of "half measures" and lost hope. Although I wanted to do what is right, certain events in the day found me incapable of "generating" the depth of faith required to manifest an absolute trust in Gods guidance and plan. How then can I walk in the power of the Spirit? Mark 9: 14 - 29 holds the answer. Here we find a frantic father, desperately seeking relief for his demonized son. No doubt he sought every local source of human and spiritual ingenuity available to effect a cure, all to no avail. He hears of the miraculous works of Jesus, a furtive hope is kindled, he sets out into the wilderness. But hopes are dashed as Christ's own disciples are impotent against his sons's beastly condition.

    Jesus arrives on the scene, questions the father who relates his desperation, then pleads "Have mercy on us and help us if you can." "If I can?" Jesus asked. "Anything is possible if a person believes." The crippling fear that had previously obscured the father's innermost need was in that fraction of a moment surrendered to the Master. He instantly cries out "I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!" He asked for a miracle and it was provided... In an instant, lost hope transformed into saving faith while he witnessed the impossible as Jesus cast out the daemon and his son was restored healthy and whole. But the story wasn't over, His disciples asked "Why couldn't we cast out that evil spirit?" Jesus replied, "This kind can only be cast out by prayer and fasting." Yes, some things may require extra effort on our part but all things can be overcome as we willingly and fervently lay them at the feet of the Lord.

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic all things in His time and by His grace...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  3. No question I was the lost wanderer, struggling from barroom to barroom looking for what I found in the program of recovery - a relationship with The Power Within me. That has always been The Promised Land and always will be. Comparing the alcoholic journey to the awakening journey is to compare near-death to awakened-life. The only way for me to achieve a vital spiritual awakening was to incorporate all Twelve Steps into my life in such a way that they became a life I love, filled with love. That transformation is absolute and available any other wanderer who has suffered enough. It is the gift of a new state of consciousness and being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael brought to our knees by Alcohol we reached out to the only Power that could help us. That One is God...Thank you...Armand

      Delete