Monday, February 5, 2018

The Folly Of Control

The literature of Alcoholics Anonymous says as alcoholics, " Our egomania digs two disastrous pitfalls. Either we insist upon dominating the people we know, or we depend upon them far too much.  If we lean too heavily on people, they will sooner or later fail us, for they are human, too, and cannot possibly meet our incessant demands. In this way our insecurity grows and festers.  When we habitually try to manipulate others to our own willful desires, they revolt, and resist us heavily.  Then we develop hurt feelings, a sense of persecution, and a desire to retaliate.  As we redouble our efforts at control, and continue to fail, our suffering becomes acute and constant.  We have not once sought to be one in a family, to be a friend among friends, to be a worker among workers, to be a useful member of society.  Always we tried to struggle to the top of the heap, or to hide underneath it.  This self-centered behavior blocked a partnership relation with any one of those about us.  Of true brotherhood we had small comprehension."
         It is in the letting go of self and trusting in God that allows us to accept others as they are and to relinquish control. One of the greatest gifts from the program of A.A. is to have true and honest relationships with those around us. We can learn how to interact with others through our interaction with God in the Eleventh Step.  We can learn how to love and how to allow ourselves to be loved   We can learn how not to interact with other personalities, which we can like or dislike, but rather to interact with the part of them that is good - the part of them that is God.
       It is in the letting go of self and the trusting in God that allows us to accept others as they are (and ourselves as we are).  This allows us not only to relinquish control but to have no need or desire to control at all.

Written by Armand

4 comments:

  1. The AA program of recovery has proven to me that the more I take control via my unaided will, the more I lose control. When I first started to attend meetings, I was taken with the notion of KISS - keep it simple, stupid. I was also told that it was a simple program for complicated people. The word "simple" seemed to have been a foundation word for what was to follow. In other words, it was strongly advised that I should follow directions of some sort. The Twelve Steps are The Directions. By incorporating The Steps into my life, I came to the realization that I had to release control of my human nature in order to find a softer, less complicated, far-less-controlled-by-me place within me. The Power Within me would enable me to cease complete control and to find ultimate peace. Folly became follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael There is an old saying in AA and that is "surrender to win."...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. Armand,

    Anything less than the "complete surrender" to the Person of God in the 4th and 5th step continues the delusion that we still somehow possess the leverage to negotiate the "terms and conditions of our surrender" allowing us to carry on with our lives as though alcohol or any other substance abuse issue was our only problem and that were it not for "daemon rum" life would and could be just dandy.

    As long as this recovering alcoholic entertains any thought or imaginings that God desires me to climb back into the drivers seat and continue to direct life's tour would easily come under the definition of insanity and the continued mental meanderings of a megalomaniac. Thankfully, God loves us far too much to encourage His spiritually immature children to walk alone, blindly and boldly into the rush hour traffic of the limited access highway of life.

    Just for today I can face the three most troublesome struggles of life. First, by thanking God for helping me overcome the struggle with my human nature. When I admit the impossibility of changing myself with resolutions and self-improvement disciplines I open the door to acceptance of Gods desire to perform the continuing miracle of making me like Himself. Second, God frees me from the struggle of being humanly adequate. I know I am insufficient for the demands of life, but I also know of The Masters all-sufficient adequacy. I can't imagine any problem God cannot help me to solve, any person God can't love through me and any challenge God can't give me strength to tackle. Third, I don't have to struggle with worries over what the future holds. I can relax. Whatever I face today will be an opportunity to discover new dimensions of His unspeakably sublime character to be formed in me."

    Simply put, Serenity, is a gift of God to all who "humble themselves and seek His face and turn from their wicked ways", For then His eyes shall be open and His ears attentive to our prayers. And thus, He says, "I shall grant you a time of refreshment". That, my brother, is serenity.


    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic Only through the gift of grace do we recover....Thank you...Armand

      Delete