Thursday, April 27, 2017

Primary Characteristics Of An Alcoholic

        Today I was reminded of the work of Dr. Tiebout, a pioneering figure in the treatment of alcoholism and early supporter of Alcoholics Anonymous.  He concurred that "the characteristics of the so-called typical alcoholic are one who is narcissistic with an egocentric core, dominated by feelings of omnipotence and intent in maintaining, at all costs, their inner integrity."  In a careful study of a series of cases regarding the alcoholic by Sillman, Dr. Tiebout reported that Sillman felt he could discern the outlines of a common character structure among problem drinkers and that the best terms he could find to describe said group were, "defiant individuality and grandiosity."  Tiebout concurs with Sillman and states, "...inwardly the alcoholic brooks no control from God or man.  The alcoholic is and must be the master of their destiny."  Tiebout continues, "...granted the more or less constant presence of these character traits, it is easy to see how the person possessing them has difficulty in accepting spirituality and God.  Spirituality, by its demand that the individual acknowledge the presence of God, changes the very nature of the alcoholic.  So, if the alcoholic can use the spiritual tools of recovery and accept the concept of the presence of a power greater than themselves, then he or she by that very step modifies presently and possibly permanently his or her deepest inner structure and when done so without resentment or struggle then they are no longer typically alcoholic."
                 In my own experience with the disease of alcoholism, the belief in God in and of itself is not enough, as I had always had a belief in God.  That belief must also carry with it the component of TRUSTING in God to the point of making a decision to turn my will and my life over to His care.  All we have today is contingent upon our relationship with God - in this day and in this moment.

Written by Arman

10 comments:

  1. It defies logic that someone who is narcissistic, egocentric, defiant, grandiose, and who is dominated by feelings of omnipotence can possibly possess any inner integrity to have to maintain. Alcoholics, like me, live in a shell of deceit and denial. Addiction knows no boundaries in its diminution of the human spirit. It is a tyrant which reduces us to the desperate depths of human behavior. But our spirit, when stoked by the Recovery program of action, remains the stronger force, capable of rendering immense transformation in a very short time. Our primary characteristics, as dark and negative as they've been, can be supplanted almost immediately by the simple elements of true inner integrity. We can literally be re-born through the program of action which provides the spiritual answer to the dilemma of us. Our primary characteristics are returned to us in the form of love, tolerance, and service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael complete and total surrender of our human nature to the will of God is necessary if we are to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the trusting in God, through both the good and challenging times, that I can fall short. My human instincts, which are also God given, will create fear and anxiety. I am so programmed to take control I often won't appreciate the opportunities to grow in my relationship with God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It is in the falling short that we eventually come closer to the Lord as we understand that our human nature will never do the will of God but will only try to protect our human instincts. Time takes time. Anyone who says that time doesn't matter in AA( in regard to the !2 Steps) doesn't have any time...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for reminding me of the nature of the alcoholic it's a great explanation of what we were like and where we need to be. Despite the description by Tiebout of the alcoholic many of us would deny the truth of that logic until we surrender and then it becomes clear. Roland was a good church goer but it didn't spell the necessary spiritual experience that was needed. I am thankful that my recovery defies logic and that through AA the steps and all that's on offer including a spiritual journey that I have a sober life today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne you are welcome. I agree that our perceprtion changes as we come closer to God and integrate the Twelve Stepsof Alcoholics Anonymous into our life until they become our life...thank you...Armand

      Delete
  6. this Comment Is From A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic

    Yes, I lived out that hyper exaggerated delusional belief in my own importance justifying every unrestrained journey into my God given appetites with unholy zeal that deliberately left God out of the equation. I became a bottomless layer of gilt and shame terrified by the ever-present fear of having my true self discovered and inner "daemons" exposed. There was... no good in me to be found. To be honest, there was no me at all. Just a self created caricature, a mere bundle of personas alternately exercised to gain acceptance and ultimate possession of the person, place or thing I craved.

    Yet, the effects of God's presence were everywhere and all about me. In overheard conversations, the random kindness of a stranger, witnessed displays of true love and affection, a baby's furtive glance. That was the life I craved in fleeting moments of sanity. But I knew it would only came about if I could summon the courage to completely surrender to His simple plan. A courage I simply didn't possess. A courage that could only be given by a Devine hand.

    Gods gift of faith was finally given and as it drove me to my knees and the Ultimate Author of that vision I finally began to apprehend the radical change encountered in "How it Works." I asked for His protection and care with complete abandon and as I laid that wretched life before Him all the accumulated gilt and shame of 37 years fled into infinity... And miraculously, in its place, now resides the very Holy Spirit of God. The memory of that first encounter is as fresh in my mind as it was some 30 years ago. Today, I'm strangely thankful I discovered alcohol and the inevitable misery it brings. Without it, I would never have walked through the doors and into the fellowship of AA. I would have never encountered the Steps that lead to the "Peace of God that surpasses all understanding." (Philippians 4:7) I would never have come to know my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. And my beloved brother, neither would you.

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic a surrender in this moment to the will of God is the fruit of incorporating the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous into our life. This gift of grace is freely given to initiate the surrender that is necessary to be obedient...Thank you...Armand

      Delete